News

Plan To Evacuate Egyptians In Libya Through Tunisia

Plan To Evacuate Egyptians In Libya Through Tunisia

 

Egyptian men wait to board their plane to return home, at the Gabes Matmata airport, south of Tunisia

Egypt’s Aviation Ministry is waiting for an assessment from the Foreign Ministry of the number of Egyptians residing in Libya to begin evacuating them, the Aviation Minister said on Monday.

Aviation Minister Hossam Kamel told Aswat Masriya that Egyptians in Libya will cross into Tunisia using buses before they get flown back home. He said there is a difficulty in evacuating them using Libyan airports, citing the “deteriorating security situation” there.

Twenty-one Coptic Egyptians were abducted in the Libyan city of Sirte on two separate occasions in December and January, only one week apart. They were beheaded in a video released late Sunday titled “a message signed with blood to the nation of the cross.”

Egypt has launched airstrikes in Libya on Monday in response to the beheadings. The Egyptian military said in a statement the strikes targeted training sites and weapons and ammunition storage sites belonging to Islamic State fighters in Iraq and Syria, located inside Libya.

The Aviation Ministry created an emergency airlift with Tunisia last July to transport Egyptians stranded on the Libyan borders with Tunisia back home.

Abu Bakr al-Gendy, the director of the Central Agency for Public Mobilisation and Statistics (CAPMAS), said that the agency has no official count of Egyptians residing in Libya. He added during a press conference on Monday that a large number of Egyptian nationals in Libya enter the neighbouring country through “illegitimate means” and that the Libyan authorities do not count foreign workers on its lands.

Gendy estimated the number of Egyptian workers currently in Libya to be between 200 and 250 thousand, yet stressed there are no official figures to confirm this.

Mahmoud al-Zanati, head of Egypt’s Civil Aviation Authority, said on Monday that civil aviation between Egypt and Libya is only operating in the direction of return to Egypt.

Egyptian security authorities had issued a ban on any travel to Libya on January 20, reported state-run news agency MENA.

In his televised address after the video’s release, President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi stressed on fully enforcing last month’s ban.

Marsa Matrouh’s Security Director al-Anani Hammouda said a state of emergency has been declared in Egypt’s Salloum border crossing, which connects it to Libya, reported MENA. The border crossing is ready to receive any Egyptians returning from the neighouring country, he added.

Foreign Ministry Spokesman Badr Abdelatty told reporters on Monday that Egyptian authorities are coordinating with Libya’s neighbours to facilitate the return of Egyptians from the conflict-torn country.

Fighting in Libya has intensified since the overthrow of late Libyan President Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, reaching unprecedented levels over the past year. As a result, several Libyan cities have fallen under control of armed militant groups.

Several Egyptians have been caught up in the militant fighting gripping the neighbouring country.

Egypt's Military Deployed Nationwide For Security And Protection
First Video Footage Of Egypt's Strikes On ISIS In Libya Released

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

Note: Egyptian Streets cannot independently verify the veracity of any images in this article.

‘Disgusting Video’ of Ketchup Production Called Misleading by Heinz Egypt

Egyptian StreetsDecember 4, 2016
squashwomen

Egypt’s Women Make Squash History Taking Top Three Spots in World Ranking

Egyptian StreetsDecember 4, 2016
Protesters gather to demonstrate Egypt's decision to declare two Red Sea islands as Saudi Arabian. Khaled Ali, pictured, brought a case to the Administrative Court against the decision. Credit: Belal Darder

Egypt’s Constitutional Court Rules Against Interior Minister Authority to Ban Protests

Aya NaderDecember 3, 2016
pablo-4

Egypt’s Foreign Minister in ‘First Meeting’ Between Arab Official and US Vice President-elect

Egyptian StreetsDecember 1, 2016
A street in Luxor.

UK Court Allows British Woman to Adopt Girl ‘Found in a Box’ in Egypt’s Luxor

Egyptian StreetsNovember 30, 2016
egypt parliament

Egypt’s Parliament Passes Controversial NGO Law

Aswat MasriyaNovember 30, 2016
The arrival hall is empty at the Sharm el-Sheikh Airport in south Sinai, Egypt, Monday. Airbus executives say they are confident in the safety of the A321 that crashed Oct. 31 in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, killing all 224 people on board. Photo: AP

UN World Tourism Organization Urges UK to Return Flights to Sharm El-Sheikh

Egyptian StreetsNovember 29, 2016
Ministry_of_Foreign_Affairs_of_Egypt_Cairo

No Egyptian Soldiers Fighting in Syria: Egypt’s Foreign Ministry

Egyptian StreetsNovember 28, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.