News

725 ‘Terrorists’ Killed by Egypt’s Military in Six Months

725 ‘Terrorists’ Killed by Egypt’s Military in Six Months

Part of the military force deployed in Egypt's North Sinai following recent attacks that killed at least 33 soldiers in October 2014.
Part of the military force deployed in Egypt’s North Sinai following recent attacks that killed at least 33 soldiers in October 2014.

A total of 725 suspected militants have been killed by Egyptian security forces between late October and late April, the armed forces spokesman said on Saturday.

The operations started on October 25, 2014, a day after militant attacks left over 30 security personnel dead, with the deadliest month in the campaign being February in which 173 suspected militants were killed.

Armed forces spokesman Mohamed Samir said in a statement that 1,873 suspects and 206 wanted individuals were arrested.

Samir added that 1823 headquarters, hideouts and gathering points for militants were destroyed, as well as over 2,000 vehicles.

Heavy and light weapons were seized during the operations, including mortars, anti-tank mines, 1.5 tonnes of explosive materials and improvised explosive devices.

Militancy inside Egypt has seen a significant rise since July 2013, with most attacks targeting security forces in North Sinai.

A state of emergency and a night-time curfew have been in place in parts of North Sinai since the October attacks.

In a speech in celebration of the Sinai Liberation Day last month, Egyptian president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said Sinai faces terrorism that bears “malicious intentions,” adding that the armed forces and the police have been waging “battles” there.

Etihad Airways Flight From Cairo Lands In Dubai After "Security Threat"
Egypt Court Sentences Mubarak and Sons to Three Years in Prison

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

05black

Egypt’s Foreign Reserves Rise to $US 23 Billion

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
1200x-1-1024x697-1

Naguib Sawiris Steps Down as CEO of Orascom in Surprise Resignation

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
One of the leaked images allegedly from a Heinz Egypt factory.

Senior Heinz Egypt Employee Arrested After 62 Tonnes of Rotten Tomatoes Found

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
sticlute-de-parfum-2

Import Tariffs on 320 Goods Increased by up to 60 Percent in Egypt

Aswat MasriyaDecember 5, 2016
One of the leaked images allegedly from a Heinz Egypt factory.

‘Disgusting Video’ of Ketchup Production Called Misleading by Heinz Egypt

Egyptian StreetsDecember 4, 2016
squashwomen

Egypt’s Women Make Squash History Taking Top Three Spots in World Ranking

Egyptian StreetsDecember 4, 2016
Protesters gather to demonstrate Egypt's decision to declare two Red Sea islands as Saudi Arabian. Khaled Ali, pictured, brought a case to the Administrative Court against the decision. Credit: Belal Darder

Egypt’s Constitutional Court Rules Against Interior Minister Authority to Ban Protests

Aya NaderDecember 3, 2016
pablo-4

Egypt’s Foreign Minister in ‘First Meeting’ Between Arab Official and US Vice President-elect

Egyptian StreetsDecember 1, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.