News

Egypt Confirms Top FIFA Official Demanded Bribe for 2010 World Cup

Egypt Confirms Top FIFA Official Demanded Bribe for 2010 World Cup

Egyptian football fans
Egyptian football fans

Former Egyptian Minister of Youth and Sports Aly El Din Helal claims that ex-FIFA Vice President Jack Warner had requested a $7 million bribe from Egypt to allow the 2010 World Cup to be hosted there.

According to Helal, Egypt refused and as such was unable to obtain a single vote during the 2004 poll where South Africa won the housing rights of the highly esteemed tournament.

Helal explained that as the Egyptian delegation was preparing its promotional events for the 2010 World Cup, many people and foreign companies working with it approached Helal with alternative ways to gain votes, suggesting bribes.

“I could not believe it until I heard this from a FIFA official,” Helal told ONTV program Manshet.

“Egypt’s Football Association President El-Dahshori Harb met with Jack Warner in the United Arab Emirates. Harb informed me that Warner wanted between $6 [million] and $7 million [in order for Egypt to win housing rights].”

Helal told Manshet that his silence all these years was merely to protect Egyptian football from any penalties seeing as he had no proof to confirm the claimed bribery offer.

US prosecutors have confirmed that Warner solicited millions worth of bribes from various parties securing for them certain privileges and tournaments, according to Al Ahram.

According to Reuters, Warner is among more than a dozen officials charged by the US Department of Justice with running a criminal enterprise and having received hundreds of millions in bribes.

South Africa’s Hawks Police Unit recently opened a preliminary investigation into the involvement of local officials in a bribery case with bribing Warner. Preliminary allegations point to a bribe of $10 million to secure the 2010 World Cup for South Africa.

South African sports officials have acknowledged this payment but claim that this money was a donation for development projects. A leaked letter from the South African Football Association shows otherwise.

South African Minister of Sports Fikile Mbalula confirmed that the money intended to organize the 2010 World Cup had been paid to Warner directly.

In a paid political address entitled “The gloves are off” broadcast late on Wednesday, Warner has vowed to tell investigators all he knows about corruption within the international football governing body.

“There can be no reversal of the course of action I have now embarked upon,” said Warner.

Egypt Overturns Decision Listing Hamas as a Terrorist Organization
Mohamed Fahmy: Al Jazeera's Treachery Exposed Behind Bars

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@FarrahmshFarah

Farrah El Essawi studies Multimedia Journalism and Psychology at the American University in Cairo. She has always had a strong passion for social issues and animal rights and jumps at the opportunity to write about either.

More in News

1073779_big-lnd

Egypt’s Essam El-Hadary Makes African Cup History

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 18, 2017
pol

Eight Policemen Killed in Attack in Egypt’s New Valley

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 17, 2017
Tiran Island

Egypt High Court Declares Void Transfer of Tiran and Sanafir to Saudi Arabia

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 16, 2017
Top-best-hd-wallpapers-dubai-skyline-hd-wallpapers-imagen-by-balamuda

Egyptians Invest EGP 13 Billion in Dubai Real Estate in 2016

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 15, 2017
A pharmacist searches for medicine at a pharmacy in Cairo, Egypt, November 17, 2016. REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany

Medicine Prices in Egypt Increased by up to 20%

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 13, 2017
Navy officers appear to be handing out water bottles to a group of refugees who were prevented from illegally migrating in September 2015. Credit: Military Spokesman

Egypt Prevents 12,192 from Illegally Migrating in 2016

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 12, 2017
Photograph released by the Ministry of Antiquities

3,500-Year-Old Ancient Egyptian Tombs Unearthed in Aswan

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 12, 2017
egypt-taba-beach-movenpick-resort

Egypt Introduces New Security Measures for Everyone Travelling to South Sinai

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 12, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.