IS-Affiliated Sinai Province Claims Responsibility For Sinai Attacks

IS-Affiliated Sinai Province Claims Responsibility For Sinai Attacks

The Sinai Province statement released on Wednesday
The Sinai Province statement released on Wednesday

The Sinai Province, an IS-affiliated militant group, has an announced in a statement its responsibility for the Sinai attacks in Sheikh Zoweid, Al-Arish and Rafah which have been ongoing since the early hours on Wednesday.

The statement claims raiding over 15 Egyptian military checkpoints using light weapons, heavy armament and RPGs. In addition, Sinai Province have announced the execution of three “martyrdom operations” across Arish and Sheikh Zoweid.

Security sources have announced that the routes leading to the conflict zones have been planted with explosives to prevent any reinforcements and ammunition from reaching the Egyptian forces, Mada Masr reported.

Sinai Province militants have taken over civilian homes, and were witnessed aiming RPG weapons from rooftops, reported state-owned al-Ahram.

At least 30 soldiers have been killed and dozens injured as militants waged a series of attacks on military checkpoints in Egypt’s North Sinai, reported state radio, citing a government official. Meanwhile, the Egyptian Armed Forces has stated that 10 soldiers were killed. The Military added that 22 militants were eliminated and that five checkpoints had been attacked by more than 70 militants.

In an official statement released in the evening by the Egyptian Armed Forces, 17 Egyptian soldiers were reported killed, in addition to 13 more who were injured. The statement added that 100 militants have been killed, in addition to destroying 20 of the militants’ vehicles.

However, sources on the ground told Al-Qahera Al-Youm and Sky News Arabia that up to 60 may have been killed.

Egypt’s North Sinai has witnessed a wave of attacks since the ouster of Morsi in July 2013. On Tuesday, two children were killed when a rocket reportedly fired by militants struck their home.

This story is developing.

Egypt Officially Announces 'State Of War'
Dozens Killed In Egypt's North Sinai

Subscribe to our newsletter


More in News


Egypt Seizes Sugar Stocks from Edita Amid Ongoing Sugar Crisis

Egyptian StreetsOctober 24, 2016

Egypt Court Upholds Former President Morsi’s 20-Year Prison Sentence

Aswat MasriyaOctober 23, 2016
Egyptian President, Abdel Fattah El-Sisi arrives at Air Force station in New Delhi on September 1, 2016 AFP / PRAKASH SINGH

Egyptian President Sisi’s Approval Ratings Fall to 68%: Baseera

Egyptian StreetsOctober 23, 2016

Egypt’s President Sisi Calls for ‘Maximum Vigilance’ After Brigadier General Killed in Cairo

Egyptian StreetsOctober 23, 2016

Egypt Court Releases Mother of Suez FGM Victim, Postpones Trial to November

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016
John Kerry

US Shifts Over $100 Million of Aid Away From Egypt

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016

Egypt’s Mediation Efforts Secure Evacuations, Delivery of Humanitarian Aid, Says Foreign Ministry

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016
A worker sells subsidized food commodities at a government-run supermarket in Cairo, Egypt, Feb.14, 2016 (Photo: Reuters)

Egypt to Consider Boosting Subsidies to Shield Low-Income Citizens from Hardships of Economic Reform

Egyptian StreetsOctober 19, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.