Updated: 717 Pilgrims Killed in Mecca Stampede During Hajj

Updated: 717 Pilgrims Killed in Mecca Stampede During Hajj

Photo released by Saudi Authorities from the scene.
Photo released by Saudi Authorities from the scene.

More than 717 people taking part in the annual Hajj died in a stampede near Mecca, Saudi Arabia Officials stated.

The Civil Defense Authority announced that over 719 other people were injured in the stampede that took place at Mina.

Two million Muslims are expected to take part in the Hajj pilgrimage in Mecca this year.

This incident follows another deadly incident that took place earlier this month when a crane collapsed in Mecca’s Grand Mosque resulting in the deaths of 109 people.

According to Saudi Authorities, more than 200 emergency and rescue units have been sent to the area of the stampede. Victims of the stampede are from a number of ‘different nationalities,’ said the Saudi Civil Defense Authority.

The cause behind the stampede has not been revealed but Saudi Health Minister Khaled Al-Falih stated that the incident could have been avoided “if the pilgrims had followed instructions.”

Egypt’s Foreign Ministry has said it is following the reports closely as to identify whether any Egyptians are among the victims.

This is not the first deadly incident in Mecca during Hajj. In 2006, 364 pilgrims were killed in another stampede. In 1997, 343 pilgrims were killed and 1,500 injured when a fire erupted. In 1994, 270 pilgrims were killed in a stampede and in 1990 more than 1,400 were killed.

According to Al-Arabiya, a press conference will be held following Maghreb prayers at sunset.

This story is developing.

In Photos: Egyptians Celebrate Eid Al-Adha
Majority of Rejected Parliamentary Elections Applicants 'Drug Users'

Subscribe to our newsletter


More in News

REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh

Egypt’s Military Likely to Reduce its Role in Egyptian Economy Within 3 Years: PM Ismail

Egyptian StreetsOctober 25, 2016
Photo: Youm7

Egypt’s Interior Ministry Warns Against Schemes to ‘Incite Chaos’ Ahead of Planned Protests

Egyptian StreetsOctober 25, 2016

Egypt’s First National Youth Conference Launched

Egyptian StreetsOctober 25, 2016

Egypt Slams Guardian for ‘Factual Mistakes’ on Cairo’s Stance on Syria

Aswat MasriyaOctober 25, 2016

50 US Business, Government Representatives Visit Egypt

Egyptian StreetsOctober 25, 2016
Photo: Reuters

Egypt’s Exports Increase by $1 Billion, Imports Decrease by $7 Billion: Trade Minister

Egyptian StreetsOctober 24, 2016
Egypt's Minister of International Cooperation Sahar Nasr and Japan's Ambassador to Egypt Takehiro Kagawa sign the exchange of letters for the second phase of the Grand Egyptian Museum, Monday October 24. Photo courtesy of Egypt's Ministry of International Cooperation

Egypt, Japan Sign Agreement for $460 Million Loan to Complete Grand Egyptian Museum

Egyptian StreetsOctober 24, 2016

Egypt Seizes Sugar Stocks from Edita Amid Ongoing Sugar Crisis

Egyptian StreetsOctober 24, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.