Coke, McDonald’s Call for FIFA President Joseph Blatter’s Immediate Resignation

Coke, McDonald’s Call for FIFA President Joseph Blatter’s Immediate Resignation

PHOTO: Ruben Sprich/Reuters
PHOTO: Ruben Sprich/Reuters

Major FIFA sponsors issued coordinated statements calling for Joseph Blatter to resign immediately as FIFA’s president due to his involvement in a major bribery and corruption scandal.

Coca-Cola Co. first issued a statement on Friday calling for Blatter’s resignation, saying his departure from soccer’s governing body would allow for the beginning of a “credible and sustainable reform process.” Other long-time FIFA sponsors, McDonald’s Corp., Visa Inc. and Anheuser-Busch InBev quickly followed suit with similarly worded statements.

The push for change came after Swiss prosecutors announced last week they were opening a criminal investigation into 79-year-old Blatter, a Swiss national, over corruption and bribery allegations.

The scandal began in May, when the US Department of Justice indicted 14 current and former FIFA officials of corruption and money laundering schemes dating back 20 years.

Blatter, who has led FIFA since 1998, denied any wrongdoing and refused to resign, saying he will only step down in February, when elections for a new president are set to take place. Blatter’s US attorney also said Blatter leaving office would not be in FIFA’s best interest.

There has been speculation over the possibility of FIFA forcing Blatter to resign due to the important role these sponsors play in securing revenue for FIFA. According to Bloomberg, FIFA sees revenues of more than $5 billion from the World Cup tournament, which occurs once every four years. Around 30 percent of these earnings are from marketing sales with major companies such as Coca Cola and McDonald’s – both of which have joined the push for change in FIFA’s dealings.

FIFA has been the subject of a three-year FBI investigation initially sparked by Russia and Qatar being chosen to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, respectively. The investigation was widened to include FIFA’s dealings in the past two decades, during which officials allegedly accepted bribes from several countries bidding to host the World Cup.

Activists Plan Protest Against Sisi's Anticipated Visit to UK
Six Months of Saudi-Led Airstrikes Leave Over 500 Yemeni Children Dead: UNICEF

Subscribe to our newsletter


More in Buzz


UK Architecture Firm to Design Cairo’s New ‘Science City’

BECAUSEOctober 13, 2016
Gohar, Ashour, El Shorbagy, and El Sherbini all made the finals at the British Open

Egyptians Dominate 7 Out of 10 Top Squash Rankings Worldwide for First Time in History

Egyptian StreetsOctober 3, 2016

Egyptian Singer Amr Diab Becomes First Arab Artist to Set Guinness World Record

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 29, 2016

Egyptian-American Rami Malek Wins Emmy for ‘Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series’

Mohamed KhairatSeptember 19, 2016

These are the Five Most Expensive Houses in Egypt

ES BuzzSeptember 18, 2016

Egyptian Nemat Shafik Becomes First Female Director of London School of Economics

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 13, 2016

85-Year-Old Coptic Christian Teaches Children the Qur’an

ES BuzzSeptember 13, 2016
egypt parliament

Egypt MP Says Women Must Accept FGM Due to Country’s ‘Sexually Weak’ Men

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 3, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.