News

138 Egyptians Among Hajj Stampede Victims

138 Egyptians Among Hajj Stampede Victims

Medical personnel tend to a wounded pilgrim following a crush caused by large numbers of people pushing at Mina, outside the Muslim holy city of Mecca September 24, 2015.   Credit: Stringer/ Reuters
Medical personnel tend to a wounded pilgrim following a crush caused by large numbers of people pushing at Mina, outside the Muslim holy city of Mecca September 24, 2015. Credit: Stringer/ Reuters

The number of Egyptians killed in the Haj stampede last month climbed to 138 from 126, while 96 Egyptians are currently missing, Egypt’s endowments minister said on Sunday.

Religious Endowments Minister Mohamed Mokhtar Gomaa told a news conference, aired live on state television, that a “detailed report” on the incident has been handed to the Egyptian Cabinet.

Gomaa’s announcement comes two days after he returned from Saudi Arabia, where he was leading Egypt’s Haj group.

A stampede in the Saudi tent city of Mina on Sept. 24 left 769 dead when pilgrims either suffocated or were trampled while preforming Haj, one of the five pillars of Islam.

Egypt’s Ministry of Health had announced Friday that it will compare DNA samples of the relatives of missing people with samples from the yet unidentified bodies in Saudi hospitals.

Pictures of dozens of Egyptians who went to Saudi for pilgrimage are being circulated on social media by family members who have lost contact with them. Many of them are senior citizens.

The Egyptian consulate in Jeddah has uploaded photos of unidentified persons killed and injured during the stampede to its official Facebook page and asked relatives of missing persons to identify them.

The stampede has killed and injured people from across the world, including over 450 from Iran, according to Iranian news sources.

The incident has sparked tensions between the Saudi Kingdom and Iran, the latter accusing Saudi authorities of “mismanaging the pilgrimage”.

Saudi Women Set a New World Record in Global Mental Literacy
Palestinians Restricted From Jerusalem Old City After Two Israelis Killed

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

1000_1472412595osama_mursi_22415

Former President Morsi’s Son Arrested

Egyptian StreetsDecember 9, 2016
azzasoliman

Egyptian Women’s Rights Activist Azza Soliman Released on Bail after Arrest

Egyptian StreetsDecember 8, 2016
Credit: Martin Roemers/Anastasia Photo

Professors and Doctors Among 45 Arrested in Egypt Organ Trafficking Ring

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
05black

Egypt’s Foreign Reserves Rise to $US 23 Billion

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
1200x-1-1024x697-1

Naguib Sawiris Steps Down as CEO of Orascom in Surprise Resignation

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
One of the leaked images allegedly from a Heinz Egypt factory.

Senior Heinz Egypt Employee Arrested After 62 Tonnes of Rotten Tomatoes Found

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
sticlute-de-parfum-2

Import Tariffs on 320 Goods Increased by up to 60 Percent in Egypt

Aswat MasriyaDecember 5, 2016
One of the leaked images allegedly from a Heinz Egypt factory.

‘Disgusting Video’ of Ketchup Production Called Misleading by Heinz Egypt

Egyptian StreetsDecember 4, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.