Britain Suspends All Egyptian Resort Flights Suspecting Bomb Caused Russia Plane Crash

Britain Suspends All Egyptian Resort Flights Suspecting Bomb Caused Russia Plane Crash


The British Government has suspended all flights to and from the Egyptian Red Sea resort town of Sharm El-Sheikh, leaving thousands stranded and confused.

The government decided to suspend all flights after it developed strong suspicions that the Russian plane crash that killed 224 people was caused by a bomb.

“We have concluded that there is a significant possibility that the crash was caused by an explosive device on board the aircraft,” said the United Kingdom Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond on the same day Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi arrived in London for meetings with officials.

Shortly after the claims, an anonymous US official told the Associated Press that the US had reached the ‘tentative conclusion’, following the interception of communications, that an explosive device and been planted on the plane.

Following the crash, ISIS-affiliate Wilayat Sinai (Ansar Bait Al-Maqdis) claimed that it had downed the Russian passenger plane. However, the claims were quickly dismissed by Egyptian and Russian officials and security analysts.

Earlier this week, Metrojet, the airliner whose plane crashed in the North Sinai, claimed that ‘external factors’ caused the plane to crash.

The United Kingdom’s suspension of all flights has left up to 20,000 Britons stranded in Sharm El-Sheikh, a popular resort town and the world’s leading diving destination.

Egypt’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has blasted the UK’s decision as ‘premature’ and said that investigations are underway to determine the cause of the crash.

Germans Urged to Avoid Egypt's Sinai as Europe's Largest Airline Suspends Flights
Alexandria is 'Drowning': Chaos Strikes as City Floods Again

Subscribe to our newsletter


More in News


Egypt Court Upholds Former President Morsi’s 20-Year Prison Sentence

Aswat MasriyaOctober 23, 2016
Egyptian President, Abdel Fattah El-Sisi arrives at Air Force station in New Delhi on September 1, 2016 AFP / PRAKASH SINGH

Egyptian President Sisi’s Approval Ratings Fall to 68%: Baseera

Egyptian StreetsOctober 23, 2016

Egypt’s President Sisi Calls for ‘Maximum Vigilance’ After Brigadier General Killed in Cairo

Egyptian StreetsOctober 23, 2016

Egypt Court Releases Mother of Suez FGM Victim, Postpones Trial to November

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016
John Kerry

US Shifts Over $100 Million of Aid Away From Egypt

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016

Egypt’s Mediation Efforts Secure Evacuations, Delivery of Humanitarian Aid, Says Foreign Ministry

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016
A worker sells subsidized food commodities at a government-run supermarket in Cairo, Egypt, Feb.14, 2016 (Photo: Reuters)

Egypt to Consider Boosting Subsidies to Shield Low-Income Citizens from Hardships of Economic Reform

Egyptian StreetsOctober 19, 2016
An Egyptian supporter waves a national flag during the World Cup qualifying playoff second leg soccer match, at the Air Defense Stadium in Cairo, Egypt, Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013 (Photo: AP)

Egypt to Reopen Stadiums to Soccer Fans for World Cup Qualifier

Egyptian StreetsOctober 19, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.