Gunmen Storm Mali Hotel, 170 Lives at Risk

Gunmen Storm Mali Hotel, 170 Lives at Risk


An unidentified group of armed men have stormed the Radisson Blu Hotel in Mali’s capital city Bamako, taking 170 people hostage. At least 23 people have been killed, including nationals of Mali, France, the U.S., and more.

Mali’s army commander has said that all hostages have been freed as special forces entered the hotel.

According to a spokesperson for Radisson Hotels, at least two armed men had locked 140 guests and 30 hotel employees in the hotel. However, other reports indicated there were at least 10 armed men.

The U.S. Embassy, in a series of tweets, said that it was aware of the ongoing armed attack and urged its citizens to stay in doors.

Meanwhile, the Malian government said it is exercising all efforts to free the hostages. Soldiers, with support of U.N. troops, have surrounded the hotel. Reports indicate the hostages include French, Turkish and Chinese nationals.

Turkish Airlines confirmed earlier that six of its crew are in the hotel. However, Turkish owned Anadolu Agency said that five of the crew had managed to escape.

Earlier this week, a conference had taken place at the hotel in Bamako. The hotel is popular among expatriates.

“This week there was a big delegation for the peace process at the Radisson hotel in Bamako,” said Olivier Saldago, a spokesman for the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Multidimensional Integrated Mali (MINUSMA).

The spokesman MINUSMA also said that the gunmen appeared to have entered the hotel in cars with diplomatic plates. The spokesman said that the cars or plates may have been stolen.

Earlier this year, gunmen killed 13 people, including five U.N. workers, after storming a hotel in the Malian town of Sevare.

In January 2013, France intervened after militants took control of multiple towns and cities and threatened the capital city of Mali.

This story is developing.

In Egypt, Terror Attacks Occurring 'More Than Ever Before' Says Tahrir Institute
Egypt Allocates EGP 175 Million to Boost Airport Security

Subscribe to our newsletter


More in News


Egypt Court Releases Mother of Suez FGM Victim, Postpones Trial to November

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016
John Kerry

US Shifts Over $100 Million of Aid Away From Egypt

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016

Egypt’s Mediation Efforts Secure Evacuations, Delivery of Humanitarian Aid, Says Foreign Ministry

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016
A worker sells subsidized food commodities at a government-run supermarket in Cairo, Egypt, Feb.14, 2016 (Photo: Reuters)

Egypt to Consider Boosting Subsidies to Shield Low-Income Citizens from Hardships of Economic Reform

Egyptian StreetsOctober 19, 2016
An Egyptian supporter waves a national flag during the World Cup qualifying playoff second leg soccer match, at the Air Defense Stadium in Cairo, Egypt, Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013 (Photo: AP)

Egypt to Reopen Stadiums to Soccer Fans for World Cup Qualifier

Egyptian StreetsOctober 19, 2016
Egypt's military prepares ahead of new operations against militants in Sinai

43 Terrorists Killed in Egypt Military Operations

Egyptian StreetsOctober 19, 2016
Archive photo

Police Conscript Shoots Dead Police Officer in Egypt Following Quarrel

Egyptian StreetsOctober 18, 2016
The Great Pyramid of Giza (Pyramid of Khufu)

Scans Uncover ‘Cavities’ in Egypt’s Great Pyramid

Egyptian StreetsOctober 18, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.