News

United Kingdom Praises Egypt’s ‘Prompt’ Response to Attack on Hurghada Hotel

United Kingdom Praises Egypt’s ‘Prompt’ Response to Attack on Hurghada Hotel

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-mkqv363h2dnoxrdsdjht96topu9hwii3lcvgwm4tfo

British Minister for Middle East and North Africa Tobias Ellwood has praised Egypt’s “prompt” response to the attack on a hotel in the Red Sea resort city of Hurghada.

In a short statement on Twitter, Mr Ellwood stated that no British nationals were involved or injured.

“Well done Egypt, promptly ended yesterday’s attack,” tweeted the Minister.

The latest comments will be warmly welcomed in Egypt, which has been struggling to resume all flights from the United Kingdom back to the country after a Russian passenger plane crashed in North Sinai leaving all 224 passengers dead.

Friday night’s attack came after at least two men armed with knives injured three tourists, including two Austrians and one Swede.

In an official statement, Egypt’s Ministry of Interior stated that unidentified assailants managed to infiltrate and access Bella Vista Hotel near the downtown area of Hurghada, threatening hotel guests with weapons.

Egypt’s Ministry of Interior stated that security forces managed to repel the attack, killing one attacker who has been identified as Mohamed Hassan Mohamed, a 21-year-old student and resident of Giza. Another unidentified attacker was also injured in the attack during an arrest attempt.

Egypt’s police stressed that no guns or explosives were found on the attackers. The attackers were found to be carrying a ‘sound pistol’ and knives, said the official statement.

The motives of the attackers in the latest attack appears unclear, with some claiming that the men had aimed to kidnap tourists while others stating that the men had been attempting a robbery. However, other media reports have stated that one ‘ISIS flag’ was recovered at the scene. None of these reports have not been confirmed by police.

The incident comes a day after a tourist bus carrying Arab-Israelis (Palestinians) was attacked by a group of men with fireworks and birdshot. The attack, which left no injuries, was targeted at security forces, claimed Egypt’s Ministry of Interior.

While police will claim to have foiled the terror attack by ensuring no tourists were killed, the incident is likely to deal a stringent blow to Egypt’s already struggling tourism sector. Egypt’s tourism industry is still recovering from the crash of a Russian passenger plane in October 2015, which killed all 224 passengers on board and resulted in the cancellation of many flights and more travel warnings.

Former President Mubarak's Appeal to Three-Year Imprisonment in Corruption Case Rejected
Turkey Invites Egypt to Organization of Islamic Cooperation Summit

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Solar Impulse 2 flew over the Giza Pyramids before reaching Cairo (AFP Photo/Jean Revillard)

Solar Impulse 2 Leaves Cairo, Heads to Abu Dhabi as World Tour Comes to a Close

Egyptian StreetsJuly 23, 2016
1469210567611

‘Not Terrorism’: Germany Says Munich Gunman Was Obsessed With Mass Shootings

Egyptian StreetsJuly 23, 2016
erdogan-turkey-coup

Turkey’s Erdogan Orders Closure of 1,043 Schools, 1,229 Charities

Egyptian StreetsJuly 23, 2016
Credit: Lukas Schulze / AFP

10 Killed in Munich Shopping Center Shooting

Egyptian StreetsJuly 23, 2016
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi answers questions during an interview, Saturday, Sept. 26, 2015, in New York. Sisi discussed various issues including Egypt's role in the Middle East, his country's work on an expansion project to the Suez Canal, and relations with the United States. (AP Photo/Julie Jacobson)

President Sisi Urges Unity, Vows Justice After Sectarian Violence in Minya

Egyptian StreetsJuly 22, 2016
Ministry_of_Foreign_Affairs_of_Egypt,_Cairo

Egypt’s Foreign Ministry Blasts Turkey’s Erdogan Following Anti-Sisi Remarks

Egyptian StreetsJuly 21, 2016
Employees speak on phones at an exchange office in downtown Cairo June 5, 2014. REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh

Egyptian Pound Weakens to Record Low Against US Dollar as Devaluation Uncertainty Mounts

Egyptian StreetsJuly 21, 2016
Photo: AFP

Parliament Agrees to Extend Emergency Rule in Sinai

Aswat MasriyaJuly 20, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.