News

President Sisi Promises Investigation as Football Fans Rally Over Port Said Massacre

President Sisi Promises Investigation as Football Fans Rally Over Port Said Massacre

pablo (38)
A mother of one of those killed marking the fourth anniversary of the Port Said massacre in 2012.

As hundreds of Al-Ahly Sporting Club supporters, Ultras Ahlawy, gathered at a stadium to mark the fourth anniversary of the 2012 Port Said Massacre that left 73 people dead, President Sisi promised to commence an investigation into the incident.

“I call on the Ultras [Ahlawy] to choose 10 of their members whom they can trust to be part of an [investigative] committee…and determine what more can be done,” said President Sisi in a telephone call to popular television show Al-Qahera Al-Youm.

The Port Said Massacre saw the deaths of 73 football fans, mostly from Al-Ahly football club. The violence started after Masry supporters reportedly attacked Al-Ahly supporters with numerous weapons while security personnel stood by.

The incident saw the suspension of football matches across Egypt and has had longstanding impacts of Egypt’s football scene since then, with many matches closed to the public.

For the tragedy, 11 people were handed death sentences. The Court also sentenced 10 defendants to 15 years in maximum security prison, 15 defendants to 10 years in maximum security prison, and 11 defendants to five years in prison. Four more defendants were sentenced to five years’ labour, including Port Said’s former security director and the chairman of Port Said’s Masry club. Nine police personnel are among the defendants.

However, Ultras Ahlawy maintains that the real culprits and the police who stood by and watched remain unpunished.

“In such events with large crowds, it’s always difficult to determine the truth behind what happened,” said President Sisi addressing the discontent, adding that he promises to work with the youth to reach a more desirable outcome.

Damaged Roads Help Save Lives: Egypt's Traffic Authority
Egyptian Citizen Accused of Terror Attack on Saudi Arabian Mosque

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Note: Egyptian Streets cannot independently verify the veracity of any images in this article.

‘Disgusting Video’ of Ketchup Production Called Misleading by Heinz Egypt

Egyptian StreetsDecember 4, 2016
squashwomen

Egypt’s Women Make Squash History Taking Top Three Spots in World Ranking

Egyptian StreetsDecember 4, 2016
Protesters gather to demonstrate Egypt's decision to declare two Red Sea islands as Saudi Arabian. Khaled Ali, pictured, brought a case to the Administrative Court against the decision. Credit: Belal Darder

Egypt’s Constitutional Court Rules Against Interior Minister Authority to Ban Protests

Aya NaderDecember 3, 2016
pablo-4

Egypt’s Foreign Minister in ‘First Meeting’ Between Arab Official and US Vice President-elect

Egyptian StreetsDecember 1, 2016
A street in Luxor.

UK Court Allows British Woman to Adopt Girl ‘Found in a Box’ in Egypt’s Luxor

Egyptian StreetsNovember 30, 2016
egypt parliament

Egypt’s Parliament Passes Controversial NGO Law

Aswat MasriyaNovember 30, 2016
The arrival hall is empty at the Sharm el-Sheikh Airport in south Sinai, Egypt, Monday. Airbus executives say they are confident in the safety of the A321 that crashed Oct. 31 in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, killing all 224 people on board. Photo: AP

UN World Tourism Organization Urges UK to Return Flights to Sharm El-Sheikh

Egyptian StreetsNovember 29, 2016
Ministry_of_Foreign_Affairs_of_Egypt_Cairo

No Egyptian Soldiers Fighting in Syria: Egypt’s Foreign Ministry

Egyptian StreetsNovember 28, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.