Non-Governmental Italian Tourism Association ‘Suspends All Activities’ in Egypt Over Regeni’s Death

Non-Governmental Italian Tourism Association ‘Suspends All Activities’ in Egypt Over Regeni’s Death


By Aswat Masriya

An Italian tourism association decided on Thursday to suspend all activities, especially the travel programs, in Egypt until the story behind Guilio Regeni’s death is “clarified.”

Regeni, a 28-year-old Italian Ph.D. student in Cambridge University, disappeared on January 25, marking the fifth anniversary of the 2011 Uprising that led Mubarak to step down after his 30-year rule. Ten days after his disappearance, his tortured body was found alongside Cairo-Alexandria Desert Road, bearing signs of torture.

The non-governmental and non-profit Italian Association for Responsible Tourism said in a statement that “Egypt is a wonderful country that offers great cultural attractions,” but a vacation “ is not possible in the context of pain and indignation.”

Last month, Egypt’s interior ministry claimed to have killed a gang of four men, in a shootout, suspected of being behind Regeni’s death.

In a statement, the ministry said that the gang members specialized in “impersonating policemen, kidnapping foreigners and stealing their money.”

Italian investigators however expressed their suspicion over Egypt’s claims and said that the case is “far from closed,” reported Italian news agency ANSA.

Citing the investigators, ANSA pointed to “inconsistencies” in Egypt’s version of the story, as it is “unlikely” for the alleged kidnappers to hold on to evidence condemning them such as Regeni’s passport for so long, and were also “unlikely” to have tortured the Ph.D. student for over a week.

Regeni’s mother, Paola Deffendi, entrusted the Italian government to firmly respond to the death of her son, in case Egypt fails to provide convincing answers, reported ANSA.

She told a press conference at the Senate in Rome on March 29 that the death of Regeni “is not an isolated case” as the Egyptian government says.

Earlier in March, the European Parliament passed a non-binding resolution condemning the human rights situation in Egypt with particular emphasis on Regeni’s case.

The parliament, accordingly, called for the “suspension of any form of security cooperation and assistance with Egyptian authorities, as long as its security apparatus continues to fuel radicalism and violent extremism through its systematic violations committed in full-impunity.”

Egypt however rejected the parliament’s statements and said they are not backed by “any evidence.”

US Congressional Delegation Meets Sisi, Stresses Importance of Egypt's Stability
Construction of Egypt's New Capital City Kicks Off

Subscribe to our newsletter


Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy.

More in News


Egypt Court Upholds Former President Morsi’s 20-Year Prison Sentence

Aswat MasriyaOctober 23, 2016
Egyptian President, Abdel Fattah El-Sisi arrives at Air Force station in New Delhi on September 1, 2016 AFP / PRAKASH SINGH

Egyptian President Sisi’s Approval Ratings Fall to 68%: Baseera

Egyptian StreetsOctober 23, 2016

Egypt’s President Sisi Calls for ‘Maximum Vigilance’ After Brigadier General Killed in Cairo

Egyptian StreetsOctober 23, 2016

Egypt Court Releases Mother of Suez FGM Victim, Postpones Trial to November

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016
John Kerry

US Shifts Over $100 Million of Aid Away From Egypt

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016

Egypt’s Mediation Efforts Secure Evacuations, Delivery of Humanitarian Aid, Says Foreign Ministry

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016
A worker sells subsidized food commodities at a government-run supermarket in Cairo, Egypt, Feb.14, 2016 (Photo: Reuters)

Egypt to Consider Boosting Subsidies to Shield Low-Income Citizens from Hardships of Economic Reform

Egyptian StreetsOctober 19, 2016
An Egyptian supporter waves a national flag during the World Cup qualifying playoff second leg soccer match, at the Air Defense Stadium in Cairo, Egypt, Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013 (Photo: AP)

Egypt to Reopen Stadiums to Soccer Fans for World Cup Qualifier

Egyptian StreetsOctober 19, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.