News

Egypt to Launch Tourism Campaign in Italy Despite Unsolved Regeni Case

Egypt to Launch Tourism Campaign in Italy Despite Unsolved Regeni Case

5064-Egyptian-Steel-Close-9-15-14-post

Egypt’s Tourism Authority (ETA) will move forward next week with the launch of its tourism campaign in Italy to attract Italian visitors to Egypt, Al-Borsa reported.

The campaign will be carried out online and will rely mostly on social media platforms.

The ETA had decided in February to suspend the campaign in Italy for one month, pending the results of the investigation into the murder of Italian PhD student Giulio Regeni. Although the case remains open almost two months later, Egypt has decided to “ignore the mounting tensions” between Egypt and Italy as a result of the unsolved Regeni case and proceed with the campaign launch.

On Tuesday, Italy’s Foreign Minister Paolo Gentiloni told his country’s parliament that Italy would take “immediate and proportionate” measures against Egypt if the latter failed to cooperate in revealing the truth about Regeni’s murder.

Last month, Egyptian authorities claimed that a “gang” specializing in kidnapping and scamming foreigners while posing as policemen was responsible for the murder of the Italian student. Italian investigators rejected the claims, saying there are “inconsistencies” in Egypt’s narrative of the events.

The ETA’s decision also comes days after Italian nongovernmental organization the Association for Italian Tourism (AITR) released a statement announcing its decision to suspend all activities, particularly travel packages, in Egypt until the truth behind the Regeni case is clarified.

However, the ETA’s head of foreign tourism Mohamed Abdel Gabbar said that AITR’s decision will not impact the tourism campaign because “the organization is not known” and that other Italian travel agencies encompass the biggest tourism companies.

Abdel Gabbar also said that the flow of Italian tourists will not increase during the current time period, highlighting that the greatest influx of tourists from the Mediterranean country comes during the summer season.

However, Abdel Gabbar had said in February that Italian tourism bookings to Egypt during the upcoming summer season have dropped by 90 percent in comparison to last year. The drop was announced less than two weeks after Regeni’s tortured body was found on the outskirts of Cairo.

Approximately four million Egyptians work in the tourism sector, which accounts for 12.6 percent of the country’s total employment and about 12 percent of the economy.

The drop in tourism revenues is also one of the main factors contributing to the country’s current foreign currency crisis. Since the 2011 ouster of Hosni Mubarak, foreign reserves have gone down more than 50 percent, from USD 36 billion to USD 16.561 billion as of last month.

Seven Killed in Sinai Terror Attacks As Saudi King Makes First Official Visit to Egypt
Cyprus Approves Egypt’s Request to Extradite EgyptAir Hijacker

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

squashwomen

Egypt’s Women Make Squash History Taking Top Three Spots in World Ranking

Egyptian StreetsDecember 4, 2016
Protesters gather to demonstrate Egypt's decision to declare two Red Sea islands as Saudi Arabian. Khaled Ali, pictured, brought a case to the Administrative Court against the decision. Credit: Belal Darder

Egypt’s Constitutional Court Rules Against Interior Minister Authority to Ban Protests

Aya NaderDecember 3, 2016
pablo-4

Egypt’s Foreign Minister in ‘First Meeting’ Between Arab Official and US Vice President-elect

Egyptian StreetsDecember 1, 2016
A street in Luxor.

UK Court Allows British Woman to Adopt Girl ‘Found in a Box’ in Egypt’s Luxor

Egyptian StreetsNovember 30, 2016
egypt parliament

Egypt’s Parliament Passes Controversial NGO Law

Aswat MasriyaNovember 30, 2016
The arrival hall is empty at the Sharm el-Sheikh Airport in south Sinai, Egypt, Monday. Airbus executives say they are confident in the safety of the A321 that crashed Oct. 31 in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, killing all 224 people on board. Photo: AP

UN World Tourism Organization Urges UK to Return Flights to Sharm El-Sheikh

Egyptian StreetsNovember 29, 2016
Ministry_of_Foreign_Affairs_of_Egypt_Cairo

No Egyptian Soldiers Fighting in Syria: Egypt’s Foreign Ministry

Egyptian StreetsNovember 28, 2016
Archive Photo. Credit: Asmaa Waguih/ Reuters

Al-Jazeera Documentary on Egyptian Conscripts Reignites Media War with Qatar

Aswat MasriyaNovember 27, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.