Seven Killed in Sinai Terror Attacks As Saudi King Makes First Official Visit to Egypt

Seven Killed in Sinai Terror Attacks As Saudi King Makes First Official Visit to Egypt


As Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud commenced his first official visit to Egypt, ISIS-affiliated militants launched an attack in the North Sinai region killing seven people and wounding 15.

According to MENA, the attacks, which Ansar Bait Al-Maqdis (Wilayat Sinai) claimed responsibility for on social media, killed six Egyptian military personnel and one female civilian.

The deaths occurred after two armored personnel carriers were targeted by explosive devices planted on the side of the road in Rafah and Sheikh Zuweid.

Despite local media reporting the incidents, Egypt’s Military is yet to release an official statement.

The deaths come as the Saudi King pledged greater cooperation with Egypt in cracking down on terrorism. While Egyptians are expecting the visit will reap in Saudi loans, the visit has also seen discussions about regional security, terrorism, and Saudi’s relationship with Yemen, Iran and Syria.

Coinciding with the visit, Egypt’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs released a statement raising “concern” about Iranian arms being smuggled to Yemen.

“There are lots of questions about the contradictions between Iran’s official positions and its real actions which do not contribute to stability in the region but rather reflects the Iranian intervention policy in Arab affairs,” said the Foreign Ministry’s spokesperson, reported Al-Ahram.

Egypt and a number of Arab and ‘Islamic’ countries are part of a Saudi-led military coalition aimed at curbing the Houthi rebels’ power in Yemen. However, Egypt’s military involvement has so far been limited to protecting its naval interests and participating in a major military exercise.

'King Salman Bridge' to Connect Egypt and Saudi Arabia Over the Red Sea
Egypt to Launch Tourism Campaign in Italy Despite Unsolved Regeni Case

Subscribe to our newsletter


More in News


Egypt Court Upholds Former President Morsi’s 20-Year Prison Sentence

Aswat MasriyaOctober 23, 2016
Egyptian President, Abdel Fattah El-Sisi arrives at Air Force station in New Delhi on September 1, 2016 AFP / PRAKASH SINGH

Egyptian President Sisi’s Approval Ratings Fall to 68%: Baseera

Egyptian StreetsOctober 23, 2016

Egypt’s President Sisi Calls for ‘Maximum Vigilance’ After Brigadier General Killed in Cairo

Egyptian StreetsOctober 23, 2016

Egypt Court Releases Mother of Suez FGM Victim, Postpones Trial to November

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016
John Kerry

US Shifts Over $100 Million of Aid Away From Egypt

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016

Egypt’s Mediation Efforts Secure Evacuations, Delivery of Humanitarian Aid, Says Foreign Ministry

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2016
A worker sells subsidized food commodities at a government-run supermarket in Cairo, Egypt, Feb.14, 2016 (Photo: Reuters)

Egypt to Consider Boosting Subsidies to Shield Low-Income Citizens from Hardships of Economic Reform

Egyptian StreetsOctober 19, 2016
An Egyptian supporter waves a national flag during the World Cup qualifying playoff second leg soccer match, at the Air Defense Stadium in Cairo, Egypt, Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013 (Photo: AP)

Egypt to Reopen Stadiums to Soccer Fans for World Cup Qualifier

Egyptian StreetsOctober 19, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.