International

UK Prime Minister Quits after UK Votes to Leave EU

UK Prime Minister Quits after UK Votes to Leave EU

EU Referendum - Signage And Symbols

Prime Minister David Cameron announced his resignation as the United Kingdom voted to leave the European Union after shocking results.

The Prime Minister said he would leave his post in October and that he would attempt to “steady the ship” before his departure.

“The British people have voted to leave the European Union and their will must be respected,” said the Prime Minister. “The will of the British people is an instruction that must be delivered.”

A total of 17,176,006 ballots, or 52 percent, were in favor of leaving the EU, while 15,952,444 ballots, or 48 percent, were in favor of remaining.

“Let June 23rd go down in history as our independence day,” said UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage at a speech to his supporters.

“I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads to a Europe of sovereign nation states.”

Reacting to the vote, the British Pound dropped to its lowest level since 1985. According to Sky News, this marked “a sharper dive even than on Black Wednesday in 1992.” S&P confirmed that the UK is likely to lose its final AAA credit rating as a result of political, financial and economic risks associated with the UK’s decision to leave the EU.

Meanwhile, some Scottish politicians have reacted angrily, vowing to pursue an independent Scotland as 62% of Scottish voters voted to remain in the EU.

The First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon of the Scottish National Party (SNP) warned there would be consequences, adding that Scotland “sees its future as part of the EU.”

Northern Ireland also voted to remain, with the oldest political party calling for another vote on independence if Britain exits the EU.

In Europe, most governments are yet to comment on the UK decision. Germany’s Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said on twitter that the vote marked a sad day for Europe.

“The news from Britain is really sobering. It looks like a sad day for Europe and Britain,” said the German Foreign Minister.

The turnout for the vote was very high, with the Electoral Commission announcing a turnout of 72.2 percent with a total of 33,568,184 ballot papers recorded.

This story is developing.

Egyptian Secures UN Human Rights Council Membership
Egypt's Prime Minister Issues Decree Declaring EgyptAir Flight MS804 Passengers Officially Deceased

Subscribe to our newsletter


International

More in International

burqa759

Morocco ‘Bans Sale of the Burqa’

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 11, 2017
3bf3752200000578-4099046-the_killer_reversed_this_white_truck_over_the_soldiers_to_ensure-a-37_1483891567442

Four Israeli Soldiers Killed in Jerusalem ‘ISIS Truck Attack’

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 8, 2017
esteban

Five Killed in Florida Airport Shooting

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 7, 2017
istanbul

35 Killed in New Year’s Nightclub Terror Attack in Istanbul

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 1, 2017
The Israeli flag flying over Israeli settlements in the West Bank (Photo: Reuters)

‘Day of Victory’: US Abstains, UN Demands End to Israeli Settlements

Egyptian StreetsDecember 24, 2016
Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, center, Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi, left, and Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn, right, hold hands after signing an agreement on sharing water from the Nile River, in Khartoum, Sudan, Monday, March 23, 2015. Egypt, Ethiopia and Sudan on Monday signed an initial agreement on sharing water from the Nile River that runs through the three countries, as Ethiopia constructs a massive new dam it hopes will help alleviate its electricity shortages. El-Sissi, al-Bashir and Desalegn welcomed the agreement in speeches in Khartoum’s Republican Palace on Monday. (AP Photo/Abd Raouf)

Saudi Arabian Visit to Ethiopia Dam Tests Egyptian-Saudi Relations

Farah TawfeekDecember 21, 2016
Credit: AP

Gunman Who Attacked Mosque in Zurich Found Dead

Egyptian StreetsDecember 20, 2016
20turkey-6-superjumbo

Russian Ambassador to Turkey Assassinated by Turkish Police Officer

Egyptian StreetsDecember 20, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.