News

Egypt submits official bid to host 2017 Nations Cup

Egypt submits official bid to host 2017 Nations Cup
Egyptian football fans
Egyptian football fans

Egypt and six other countries are competing to host the 2017 African Cup of Nations after Libya withdrew due to political turmoil.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) announced that Algeria, Egypt, Gabon, Ghana, Kenya, Sudan and Zimbabwe have all submitted their official bids to host the Cup.

“The host country will be decided by the CAF Executive Committee during one of its sessions in 2015,” said CAF in a press release.

According to the African football body, the winner will be a nation that has the suitable infrastructure to prepare for the hosting of the Cup in a short period of time.

Egypt has hosted the competition in 1974, 1986 and 2006, and won the title in 2006. The Pharaohs are the most successful in the competition having won the Cup seven times, including in 1957, 1959, 1986, 1998, 2006, 2008 and 2010.

However, since the January 25 revolution in 2011, political and economic turmoil has seen Egypt’s FIFA ranking drop and the team has struggled to recover.

Egypt’s football stadiums have also been seen as a concern for onlookers, as a series of violent incidents have left dozens dead or injured, forcing Egypt to host games without audiences until earlier this year.

In February 2012, a stadium riot accumulated in the deaths of 72 spectators. More than 500 were injured in what became known as the ‘Port Said Stadium Massacre.’

Nevertheless, Egyptian football officials hope the bid for the African Cup of Nations will revive Egypt’s position in the football world.

Egypt's youth RiseUp for their future
Teenager killed in Egypt while defending women from sexual harassment

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Mohamed Salah Stands by Controversial Amr Warda Comments in New CNN Interview

Egyptian StreetsAugust 20, 2019

Egyptian Eco-Startup and Banque Misr Launch Campaign to Clean Up Sahel’s Beaches

Egyptian StreetsAugust 20, 2019

Baron Palace Will Open its Doors in October 2019

Nour EltiganiAugust 19, 2019

Egypt’s Handball Champions Awarded Just $90 Dollars for Historic Victory by Federation

Egyptian StreetsAugust 19, 2019

Egypt U19 Handball Team Beat Germany to Become World Champions

Egyptian StreetsAugust 18, 2019

This Year’s Round of ‘ProGirls’ Initiative Begins in Cairo and Alexandria

Egyptian StreetsAugust 18, 2019

First Time Ever: Egypt Reach U-19 Handball World Championship Finals

Egyptian StreetsAugust 18, 2019

Cairo University Jumps 100 Ranks in 2019 Shanghai Academic Ranking

Egyptian StreetsAugust 17, 2019
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.