International

Israel accepts Egypt’s cease-fire plan, Hamas rejects

Israel accepts Egypt’s cease-fire plan, Hamas rejects
Relatives and friends mourn over the body of Musa Moamer, a 60-year-old Palestinian man killed in an Israeli air strike along with three members of his family, during their funeral in southern Gaza city of Rafah on July 14, 2014. (SAID KHATIB/AFP/Getty Images)
Relatives and friends mourn over the body of Musa Moamer, a 60-year-old Palestinian man killed in an Israeli air strike along with three members of his family, during their funeral in southern Gaza city of Rafah on July 14, 2014. (SAID KHATIB/AFP/Getty Images)

An Israeli volunteer has been killed by a rocket fired from Gaza, marking the first Israeli death since the conflict started.

The death occurred hours after Hamas had rejected a cease-fire proposal.

Israel had accepted the Egyptian proposal for a cease-fire to end the conflict in Gaza that has left at least 192 Palestinians killed.

The plan had been proposed by Egypt’s Foreign Ministry on Monday and called for Israel to immediately cease all hostilities on Gaza, whether by land, sea or air.

The initiative also called on all Palestinian factions to stop all hostilities towards Israel, and to cease all firing of rockets and the targeting of Israeli civilians.

Hamas’ armed wing has, however, rejected Egypt’s initiative. In a statement, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades declared that the truce was an initiative of “kneeling and submission.”

“Our battle with the enemy will intensify,” added the group, citing that the plan would amount to a surrender.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned that Israel will expand it’s military campaign against Gaza if Hamas refuses the plan proposed by Egypt to cease-fire.

“If Hamas doesn’t accept the cease-fire proposal — and that’s how it seems at this point in time — Israel will have all the international legitimacy to broaden its military activity [in Gaza] in order to achieve the necessary quiet,” Netanyahu said at a news conference with visiting German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier in Tel Aviv.

US President Praises Egypt, Palestinian President welcomes truce

The United States President Barack Obama has meanwhile supported the Egyptian initiative while calling the civilian deaths in Gaza a “tragedy.”

“We’re going to continue to do everything we can to facilitate a return to the 2012 cease-fire,” added President Obama.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, who leads the Palestinian Authority based in the West Bank, also welcomed the Egyptian initiative and called for an immediate cease-fire.

Women Dominate TV Series Roles in Ramadan
Arab League Calls For International Protection of Palestinians

Subscribe to our newsletter


International
@khairatmk

Mohamed Khairat is the Founder and Chief Editor of Egyptian Streets.

More in International

Muslim Women in Tunisia Can Now Marry Non-Muslims

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 16, 2017

Explosion Strikes London Tube During Rush Hour

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 15, 2017

400 Killed Amid ‘Massacre’ of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 5, 2017

Egypt’s President al-Sisi Arrives in China to Attend BRICS Summit

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 4, 2017

Pope Tawadros II to Australian Coptic Youth on Same-Sex Marriage Vote: “Fight for What is Right”

Daniel NourSeptember 3, 2017

14-Year-Old Arrested in Saudi Arabia for Dancing to “Macarena” in Public

Egyptian StreetsAugust 23, 2017

First Time in 99 Years: Total Solar Eclipse Crosses the United States

Egyptian StreetsAugust 21, 2017

What We Know About the Spain Terror Attacks

Egyptian StreetsAugust 18, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.