News

Egypt Declares Week Of Mourning After Libya Beheadings

Egypt Declares Week Of Mourning After Libya Beheadings

9e104aac-3ede-4562-b389-ae982c86b213A family member of one of 27 Egyptian Coptic Christian workers who have been kidnapped in the Libyan city of Sirte, sits crying in front of a banner with pictures of the workers, in Cairo, February 13, 2015. REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany

Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi called for an urgent meeting late Sunday of the National Defence Council after a video showing the beheadings of Egyptian abductees in Libya surfaced.

Sisi declared a week of mourning over the victims and expressed condolences to their families.

A video was released earlier today featuring images of the kidnapped Egyptian Copts being led by men clad in black, except for one, along the shore of Tripoli, according to video subtitles.

The video was titled “a message signed with blood to the nation of the cross.”

Twenty-one Coptic Egyptians were abducted in the Libyan city of Sirte on two separate occasions in December and January, only one week apart.

The spokesman of Egypt’s Orthodox Church said “we are still communicating with official state bodies,” state-run news agency MENA cited him as saying.

Spokesman Boulos Halim described the video as “painful” and confirmed the identities of the abductees.

Shortly after the video’s release, Egypt’s Foreign Ministry held an urgent meeting with members of the “crisis cell”, formed by Sisi in January to follow up on the kidnappings, to discuss possible arrangements in coordination with state apparatuses.

In the video, the speaker delivers a message after which the abductees, who were kneeling, were forced to lie down and had their throats slit simultaneously.

After the beheadings, the speaker says the killings were “were in revenge for Camilia and her sisters.”

Camilia Shehata is an Egyptian woman who was at the centre of controversy back in 2010 after her disappearance following news that she converted from Christianity to Islam. A group of Egypt’s conservative Muslims believe that she was eventually forced back into Christianity.

The video footage is consistent with images that had been released on social media on Thursday, showing the kidnapped Egyptians in orange jumpsuits with the sea in the backdrop.

Egypt Reserves The Right To Respond To Libya killings
Egypt 'Cannot Confirm' 21 Coptic Christians Killed By ISIS In Libya

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

Egypt Talks with International Banks to Decrease World Prices

Nour EltiganiOctober 15, 2018

Egypt Backs Saudi Arabia Over the Case of Missing Journalist Khashoggi

Mirna AbdulaalOctober 15, 2018

Siwa’s Shali Village Restoration to Be Complete by 2020

Egyptian StreetsOctober 14, 2018

Egyptian Women Honored for Fight Against Breast Cancer

Mirna AbdulaalOctober 14, 2018

Egypt Launches New Hotline For Complaints About Street Rubbish

Mirna AbdulaalOctober 13, 2018

17 Sentenced to Death For Coptic Church Bombings

Egyptian StreetsOctober 12, 2018

Egypt’s Ministry of Agriculture Bans Unlicensed Selling of Live Poultry

Nour EltiganiOctober 11, 2018

Egyptian Smartphone-Manufacturer SICO Targets the African Market

Egyptian StreetsOctober 11, 2018
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.