News

British Embassy Suspends Public Services in Egypt Over Security Concerns

British Embassy Suspends Public Services in Egypt Over Security Concerns

bec

The British Embassy in Cairo suspended on Sunday public services due to “security considerations”, according to an embassy spokesperson.

“A number of security considerations have forced us to suspend our public services in Cairo,” the spokesperson said. “The decision was taken to ensure the security of the embassy and its staff.”

A security source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Reuters that a recently-detained suspected militant had confessed to Egyptian authorities “plans to target foreign embassies.”

The embassy spokesperson told Aswat Masriya he cannot comment on such “speculations”.

Badr Abdelatty, Egypt’s foreign ministry spokesman described the decision in a press statement as a “precautionary security measure.” He added that every country is entitled to take the necessary security measures to secure the headquarters of its diplomatic missions, citing the 1963 Vienna Convention on Consular Relations.

Egypt’s ministry of tourism stressed that the UK’s travel advice to Egypt remains unaltered, as well as that of the United States.

On its foreign travel advice to Egypt page, the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises its citizens against “all travel to” North Sinai, citing a “significant increase in criminal activity and continued terrorist attacks on police and security forces that have resulted in deaths.”

It also advises against “all but essential travel to” South Sinai, with the exception of “the area within the Sharm El-Sheikh perimeter barrier” as well as parts of the West, including the area bordering Libya.

Militants have stepped up attacks targeting security forces in Egypt, particularly in the Sinai Peninsula, since the army’s ouster of Islamist President Mohamed Mursi in July 2013, which followed mass protests against his rule.

At least 30 military personnel were killed in a suicide blast which targeted a security checkpoint in Sinai’s Sheikh Zuweid on October 24, in the worst militant attack since Mursi’s ouster.

Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, which has changed its name to Sinai Province since pledging allegiance to the leader of the Islamic State fighters in Iraq and Syria, claimed responsibility for the attack in a video released on November 14.

The group claimed last week responsibility for the killing of an American petroleum engineer who was found dead in a car in the desert last August.

In a security message issued on Thursday, the US embassy advised its citizens to “carefully scrutinise their personal movements and consider staying close to their residences and neighborhoods over the coming period.” The embassy cited clashes at several universities and Cairo neighbourhoods as one of the reasons for its message.

The UK embassy did not specify when it will resume its public services in Cairo. The British consulate in Alexandria is nevertheless normally operating, the embassy’s website said.

Canadian Embassy Suspends Public Services in Egypt Over Security Concerns
Egyptians Must Now Obtain Government Approval to Travel to Turkey

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

Tiran Island

Egypt High Court Declares Void Transfer of Tiran and Sanafir to Saudi Arabia

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 16, 2017
Top-best-hd-wallpapers-dubai-skyline-hd-wallpapers-imagen-by-balamuda

Egyptians Invest EGP 13 Billion in Dubai Real Estate in 2016

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 15, 2017
A pharmacist searches for medicine at a pharmacy in Cairo, Egypt, November 17, 2016. REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany

Medicine Prices in Egypt Increased by up to 20%

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 13, 2017
Navy officers appear to be handing out water bottles to a group of refugees who were prevented from illegally migrating in September 2015. Credit: Military Spokesman

Egypt Prevents 12,192 from Illegally Migrating in 2016

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 12, 2017
Photograph released by the Ministry of Antiquities

3,500-Year-Old Ancient Egyptian Tombs Unearthed in Aswan

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 12, 2017
egypt-taba-beach-movenpick-resort

Egypt Introduces New Security Measures for Everyone Travelling to South Sinai

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 12, 2017
burqa759

Morocco ‘Bans Sale of the Burqa’

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 11, 2017
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Mohamed El Baradei listens to a speech at the International Conference on Preventing Nuclear Catastrophe in Luxembourg May 24, 2007.    REUTERS/Thierry Roge   (LUXEMBOURG)

Mohamed ElBaradei Criticises ‘Fascism’ in Egypt after MP Demands Revocation of Citizenship

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 10, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.