News

Mubarak Retrial Verdict Postponed Until November 29

Mubarak Retrial Verdict Postponed Until November 29
A younger Hosni Mubarak during his 30-year rule.
A younger Hosni Mubarak during his 30-year rule.

An Egyptian court has postponed the verdict of Egypt’s Former President Hosni Mubarak to November 29, and has ordered the detention of Habib Al Adly, Egypt’s former Interior Minister, citing that it needs more time to examine the case’s 160,000 pages of evidence.

Cairo Criminal Court showed a video of the case’s evidence, which compromise 160,000 pages. The video, which was shown prior to the announcement, was produced by private satellite channel Sada El-Balad, which has exclusive rights to broadcast the trial.

Mubarak, who ruled Egypt for thirty years, had been accused alongside Egypt’s former Minister of Interior Habib El-Adly and six others of involvement in the killing of protesters during the January 25 revolution that saw him resigning after 18 days of protests.

The Court of Cassation had overturned his initial life sentence over technical faults in the initial trial.

The former President had declared in the previous court session that had never ordered the killing of protesters who participated in the 2011 uprising.

Hosni Mubarak told the court in August that he was not guilty.
Hosni Mubarak told the court in August that he was not guilty.

“Mubarak, who stands in front of you, would never order the killing of protesters … or any Egyptian under any conditions,” he had said in August.

The former president had also denied he was behind the security vacuum during the 18 days of protests.

Sentenced to prison for corruption in May

Hosni Mubarak waving to supporters from Maadi Hospital where he had been staying due to health issues.
Hosni Mubarak waving to supporters from Maadi Hospital where he had been staying due to health issues.

In May, the former President was sentenced to three years in prison after he was convicted of embezzling public funds to build and renovate presidential palaces. His sons, Alaa and Gamal Mubarak, were also found guilty of corruption and sentenced to four years in prison.

The court had also ordered that Hosni Mubarak and his sons reimburse EGP 21.19 million and pay a fine of EGP 125 million.

Following the sentencing, Mubarak continued his stay at Maadi Hospital due to his ailing health. Time already spent in detention was also reduced from his three year prison sentence.

This film will battle a global epidemic prevalent in Egypt: sexual harassment
Men sentenced to prison for 'homosexual activity' in Egypt

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Long-Awaited Naguib Mahfouz Museum to Open End of June

Egyptian StreetsJune 19, 2019

Who Was Mohamed Morsi? A Timeline of His Rise and Fall

Egyptian StreetsJune 18, 2019

Turkey, Qatar Only Countries to React to Morsi’s Death

Egyptian StreetsJune 18, 2019

Egypt’s Former President Mohamed Morsi Dies of a Heart Attack in Court

Egyptian StreetsJune 17, 2019

First Creative Entrepreneurship Event in Egypt For Women

Egyptian StreetsJune 16, 2019

Cairo’s Third Metro Line Fare Prices Increase to EGP 5 – EGP 10

Egyptian StreetsJune 16, 2019

Aguirre: I Will Leave If I Don’t Achieve Egypt’s Targets

Egyptian StreetsJune 15, 2019

Egyptian MP Proposes Abolishing Plastic Bags in Favour of Eco-Friendly Alternatives

Egyptian StreetsJune 11, 2019
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.