News

After Houthis Claim Egyptian Soldiers ‘Killed In Yemen’, Egyptian Military Denies Ground Operations

After Houthis Claim Egyptian Soldiers ‘Killed In Yemen’, Egyptian Military Denies Ground Operations

army

Egypt did not take part in any ground operations in the restive country of Yemen, the armed forces spokesman announced on Tuesday.

Spokesman Mohamed Samir said in a statement that Egypt’s participation in the Saudi-led strikes against Yemen are so far limited to the army’s air force and naval force, citing a presidential statement released on March 26, the day the strikes were launched.

The presidential statement had stated that Egypt’s air and naval forces would take part in the Saudi-led operation “after meeting the constitutional requirements.”

Samir also denied the death or injury of any members of the Egyptian military during their participation in the Saudi-led operation. He said his statement comes in response to “information exchanged on social media.”

Houthi officials had claimed on Tuesday that 40 Egyptian soldiers were killed in Yemen by Houthi fighters.

The Saudi-led coalition launched military operations against the Houthis in Yemen on March 26, after the Houthi rebel movement made advances onto the Yemeni south.

Saudi Arabia says military operations by the coalition are in response to an appeal from Yemeni President President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi.

Egyptian Television Channels Resume Broadcast After Explosion
Egyptian Journalist Calls For Protest Against The Hijab At Tahrir Square

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

The Egyptian Museum Makes it to UNESCO World Heritage Sites’ Tentative List

Egyptian Streets9 April 2021

Egyptologist Zahi Hawass Announces Discovery of Lost ‘Golden’ City in Luxor

Egyptian Streets8 April 2021

Egyptian Oranges Hit Japanese Shores

Olivia Mustafa7 April 2021

Kinshasa Talks on Ethiopian Dam End With No Progress: FM Shoukry

Egyptian Streets7 April 2021

Three Egyptian Men Referred to Criminal Trial for North Coast Rape

Egyptian Streets5 April 2021

How to Watch Live: Egypt’s Historic Pharaohs’ Golden Parade

Egyptian Streets3 April 2021

Egypt to Claim $1 Billion in Compensation for Suez Canal Blockage

Olivia Mustafa2 April 2021

Public Prosecution to Appeal Court Ruling to Release 4 Accused Fairmont Rapists

Egyptian Streets30 March 2021