News

Dozens Killed In Egypt’s North Sinai

Dozens Killed In Egypt’s North Sinai

Soldiers in a convoy secure a military funeral ceremony of security personnel killed in attacks in Sinai, outside Almaza military airbase where the funerals were held, in Cairo

At least 30 soldiers have been killed and dozens injured as militants waged a series of attacks on military checkpoints in Egypt’s North Sinai, reported state radio, citing a government official. Meanwhile, the Egyptian Armed Forces has stated that 10 soldiers were killed. The Military added that 22 militants were eliminated and that five checkpoints had been attacked by more than 70 militants.

In an official statement released in the evening by the Egyptian Armed Forces, 17 Egyptian soldiers were reported killed, in addition to 13 more who were injured. The statement added that 100 militants have been killed, in addition to destroying 20 of the militants’ vehicles.

However, sources on the ground told Al-Qahera Al-Youm and Sky News Arabia that up to 60 may have been killed.

According to Al-Ahram, five military checkpoints were attacked by heavily armed militants. In an official statement, the Sinai Province militant group, previously known as Ansar Bait Al-Maqdis, a Sinai-based group that pledged allegiance to ISIS in 2014, has claimed responsibility for the attacks.

The attacks, which centered around a checkpoint in Sheikh Zuweid, have reportedly also killed a number of militants, reported Youm7.

Meanwhile, Al-Qahera Al-Youm reports that 10 civilians have been killed or injured in the attacks which were waged by up to 250 militants.

As Egyptians begun fasting, massive explosions and gunfire erupted in the Sheikh Zuweid area. At approximately 9:30AM, a large explosion rocked the area, reportedly the result of a suicide truck bomb, according to Youm7.

Unverified reports from Al-Masrsad Al-Sinawi, a Sinai-based news outlet, states that an Apache helicopter was hit by a militant missile and was forced to withdraw from the battlefield.

Hours after the massive attacks erupted in North Sinai, Israel closed off the Nitzana and Kerem Shalom border crossings into Egypt, the Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported.

Egypt’s North Sinai has witnessed a wave of attacks since the ouster of Morsi in July 2013. On Tuesday, two children were killed when a rocket reportedly fired by militants struck their home.

This story is developing.

IS-Affiliated Sinai Province Claims Responsibility For Sinai Attacks
Leading Spanish Journalist Flees Egypt For Fear of Arrest

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Number of Minya Microbus Crash Victims Soars to 5, 16 Injured

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 17, 2020

Come June, King Tut Treasures To Be Exhibited in Boston

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 16, 2020

GERD Talks Yield Initial Agreement on Filling Plan

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 16, 2020

4 Egyptian Fishermen Rescued After Being Lost at Sea for a Week

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 14, 2020

Post-GERD Talks Gridlock, Ethiopian PM Asks South Africa for Intervention

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 13, 2020

Egypt Issues New Pet Ownership License Requirements

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 11, 2020

Iran Admits Shooting Down Ukrainian Passenger Plane ‘Unintentionally’

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 11, 2020

Sultan Qaboos bin Said Dies Aged 79: Oman Media

Egyptian StreetsJanuary 11, 2020