News

MSF Demands War Crimes Investigation After US Bombing of Hospital

MSF Demands War Crimes Investigation After US Bombing of Hospital

MSF153645

Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has demanded the International Humanitarian Fact-Finding Commission (IHFFC) to investigate possible War Crimes after a Saturday airstrike on a hospital in Afghanistan killed at least 22 people including aid workers.

On Tuesday, the United States confirmed that it had mistakenly bombed a hospital in Kunduz and said the attack had been requested by Afghan forces who had been fighting Taliban militants in the area. According to General John Campbell, US Commander of the International Forces in Afghanistan, the US Special Forces, who were in contact with the Afghan forces, requested an AC-130 gunship to intervene. The General added that the US would never intentionally target a protected medical facility.

Nevertheless, MSF has called for a War Crimes probe stating that it is not enough to simply call the attack a mistake. MSF asserts the coordinates of the Kunduz hospital were well known and that both US and Afghan forces had been informed of its status as a MSF-run hospital multiple times.

The IHFFC, a never before used body that was set up in 1991 under the Geneva Conventions, would not have authority to investigate the Kunduz bombing without the endorsement of the US and Afghanistan because neither are signatories. MSF Chief Joanne Liu explained that the IHFFC is “the only permanent body set up specifically to investigate violations on international humanitarian law.”

“If we let this go, we are basically giving a blank check to any countries at war,” stated Liu in statements to the press.

Egypt's Pope Tawadros II Visits U.S. For First Official Visit
77 Women to Sue Cairo University After Niqab Ban

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Opening Female Gyms in Saudi Arabia: Saudi Women Unhurriedly Acquire Basic Rights

Toqa EzzidinFebruary 22, 2017

Egypt Agricultural Exports Surge after Currency Float

Seif GhallabFebruary 22, 2017

Russia to deliver 50 MiG-29 fighters to Egypt on Schedule: Report

Toqa EzzidinFebruary 22, 2017

Globally Renowned Consulting Firms to Lead Reform of Egypt’s Ministry of Petroleum

Seif GhallabFebruary 21, 2017

11 Sentenced to Death for Port Said Massacre, Celebrations Held

Aya NaderFebruary 20, 2017

ISIS Releases Video Threatening Egypt’s Christians, Showing Church Bomber

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2017

Rockets Fired from Egypt’s Sinai at Israel for Second Time This Month

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2017

Top Oil Companies Plan to Invest in Egypt More Than Anywhere in the World

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 19, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.