News

Egypt Receives Grant Worth $15 Million from Kuwaiti Fund to Support Syrian Refugees

Egypt Receives Grant Worth $15 Million from Kuwaiti Fund to Support Syrian Refugees

sahar-nasr-pablo

Egypt signed a grant agreement worth USD 15 million from the Kuwaiti Fund for Arab Economic Development (KFAED) aiming to support the Syrian refugee community hosted in Egypt, according to a ministry statement.

The Minister of International Cooperation’s Advisor for Arab Affairs Ghadeer Hegazi signed the agreement on Friday with Nawaf AlMahamel, KFAED’s Senior Legal Advisor.

According to the statement, the money from the fund will be directed towards a number of projects, including health, waste management and waste water in areas with large numbers of Syrian refugees.

“It is worth noting that MoIC previously signed a grant agreement worth USD 20 million provided by KFAED for the same purpose and it was used for building 30 schools in governorates including large numbers of Syrian refugees,” the statement reads.

Last month, Egypt’s Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs Ambassador Hisham Badr told European Union Members of Parliament (MEPs) that Egypt now hosts five million refugees and migrants from across the region.

“We will continue of course to do our jobs and bear our responsibility without trying, unlike certain other countries, to bargain with that for other reasons,” said Badr, adding that Egypt spends USD 300 million a year as a result of the refugee crisis.

Badr also revealed that there are currently 500,000 Syrians seeking refuge in Egypt.

“We are not getting enough support. I don’t want to mention any examples with a country bordering you, which has got 6 billion dollars in help,” Badr said, in reference to Turkey.

Egypt's National Council for Women to File Complaint Against MP Agina for 'Offensive Remarks'
Egyptian MP Calls for Mandatory Virginity Tests for Admittance of Women to Universities

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Daily News Egypt ‘Blocked’ in Egypt

Egyptian StreetsMay 28, 2017

ISIS Claims Responsibility for Egypt’s Minya Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

Eiffel Tower Goes Dark as World Leaders Condemn Attack in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

ISIS Attempts to Erupt Sectarian Violence Between Egypt’s Muslims and Christians: Al-Sisi

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Bombs Terrorists in Libya Following Massacre of 28 Coptic Christians in Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Identifies a 2-Year-Old as the Youngest Victim of the Minya Bus Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Daily News Egypt Confirms Technical Issue with the Website

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

28 Killed, Including Children, in Attack on Bus Carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.