News

Cairo Opera House Suspends Activities to Mourn Sinai Mosque Attack Victims

Cairo Opera House Suspends Activities to Mourn Sinai Mosque Attack Victims

The Cairo Opera House

Cairo Opera House has announced that it suspends its activities for a duration of three days at all of its venues, including in Cairo, Alexandria and Damanhour, in honor of the victims of the attack on Friday against a mosque in Egypt’s North Sinai.

In an official statement, the management of the Opera House said that it “mourns the martyrs of the homeland” and that its venues will be closed during the three-day mourning period.

“Cairo Opera House announces the suspension of all its artistic and cultural activities along all its venues in Cairo, Alexandria and Damanhour Atyara […] mourning for the souls of the martyrs of the country who fell due to the brutal terrorist incident that took place at Al Rawda Mosque in Announcement of deferred offers at a later date,” the statement read.

It went on to say that both artists and employees condemn the attack, describing the perpetrators as having “no religion,” while stressing that the incident will only “increase our determination to continue building the nation”.

Meanwhile, Egypt’s Minister of Health Ahmed Emad El-Din was quoted on Saturday by ministry spokesperson Khaled Megahed as saying that 88 out of the 128 people injured after Friday’s attack are in stable condition, according to state-run news agency MENA.

Earlier on Saturday, the country’s top prosecutor Nabil Sadek said that between 25 and 30 armed men had raised the flag of the Islamic State in the attack against the Rawda mosque in the Bir al-Abd village close to al-Arish in North Sinai.

After the conclusion of Friday prayers, armed militants stormed the mosque killing 305, and injuring another 128.

Egypt’s army and police forces carried out air strikes and ground operations in surrounding areas of the mosque on Friday night, targeting militants believed to have been involved in the attack.

Union of Sinai Tribes Calls for ‘Revenge’ to Combat Terrorism: Statement
Egypt’s Coptic Churches Ring Bells in Solidarity with Victims of Sinai Mosque Attack

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Uber Plans to Takes Over Middle-Eastern Rival Careem for $3.1 Billion

Nour EltiganiMarch 24, 2019

Singer Sherine Banned from Performing After Freedom of Speech Comments

Egyptian StreetsMarch 24, 2019

ISIS Loses Its Last Territory, Yet the Region Looks More Dysfunctional

Mirna AbdulaalMarch 23, 2019

Egyptian Teenager’s Actions Save Schoolchildren from Italy Bus Attack

Egyptian StreetsMarch 22, 2019

Trump: Time for US to Recognise Golan Heights as Israeli territory

Egyptian StreetsMarch 21, 2019

Al Aswany Embroiled in Military Lawsuit for Criticism on State

Egyptian StreetsMarch 21, 2019

Egyptian Parliament Agrees to Law that Protects Your Personal Data

Nour EltiganiMarch 19, 2019

Egypt named Africa’s “Hottest Tech Scene” by Business Insider

Egyptian StreetsMarch 18, 2019
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.