News

Egypt Launched ‘Decent Life’ Initiative to Assist People Living in Underprivileged Villages

Egypt Launched ‘Decent Life’ Initiative to Assist People Living in Underprivileged Villages

West Bank Houses, Gurna, Luxor, Egypt

Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi launched the initiative ‘Decent Life’ in collaboration with the Ministry of Social Solidarity to help 32 million people living in Egypt’s underprivileged villages.

With EGP 2 billion, Egypt will aid 377 villages in 11 different governorates in the first phase of the initiative, specifically those in Upper Egypt where 75 percent of the residents live below the poverty line. The first phase, which began early this year, is currently on-going.

The aid consists of providing drinking water lines, ceiling roofless buildings and houses, and donating blankets and furniture to at least three million people in the governorates.

“The country is in dire need of radical solutions to solve the problem of poverty in Egypt. Although these initiatives are important and people need them, they are not a solution; they just act like tranquilisers,” Nevine Al-Qabbag, deputy at the Ministry of Social Solidarity, told the press.

Medical teams will visit villages and offer medical assistance and surgeries to those who need it. People with physical disabilities will be provided with prosthetic devices, wheelchairs and crutches.

Al-Qabbag said that part of the project is to construct 15 schools in the villages, and expand job opportunities in the area as well as help them to establish small businesses.

The second phase will target the villages of Mersa Matrouh, Beheira, Qalioubiya Port Said, Kafr Al-Sheikh, Cairo and Menoufiya governorates where poverty rates lie between 50 to 75 percent.

Villages with 50 percent poverty or less will be targeted in the third phase. These include the villages of Ismailia, Sharqiya, Daqahliya, Alexandria, Gharbiya, Damietta, Suez and Red Sea governorates.

“The ministry will provide 80 per cent of the initiative’s cost while the remaining 20 per cent will come from NGOs,” Minister of Social Solidarity Ghada Wali said.

Several initiatives have been ongoing to help those living in poorer villiages in Egypt including ‘Karama and Takaful’ and ‘Kolena Wahed’.

“These initiatives must be regular and continuous in order to be part of the solution and not just a sedative,” economist Magdi Sobhi, of Al-Ahram Centre for Political and Strategic Studies, said. “The government must provide job opportunities to at least five million unemployed youths so as to help them support themselves as well as their families. Egypt must invest in people.”

Cairo to Begin Planting Gardens on Rooftops
Ain’t No Mountain High Enough: An Exploration of the Ultras Culture in Egypt

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Mohamed Salah Stands by Controversial Amr Warda Comments in New CNN Interview

Egyptian StreetsAugust 20, 2019

Egyptian Eco-Startup and Banque du Caire Launch Campaign to Clean Up Sahel’s Beaches

Egyptian StreetsAugust 20, 2019

Baron Palace Will Open its Doors in October 2019

Nour EltiganiAugust 19, 2019

Egypt’s Handball Champions Awarded Just $90 Dollars for Historic Victory by Federation

Egyptian StreetsAugust 19, 2019

Egypt U19 Handball Team Beat Germany to Become World Champions

Egyptian StreetsAugust 18, 2019

This Year’s Round of ‘ProGirls’ Initiative Begins in Cairo and Alexandria

Egyptian StreetsAugust 18, 2019

First Time Ever: Egypt Reach U-19 Handball World Championship Finals

Egyptian StreetsAugust 18, 2019

Cairo University Jumps 100 Ranks in 2019 Shanghai Academic Ranking

Egyptian StreetsAugust 17, 2019
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.