News

Three killed in Cairo during protests calling for ‘Islamic Revolution’

Three killed in Cairo during protests calling for ‘Islamic Revolution’
Military forces deployed on Cairo's streets. Credit: Hazem Barakat.
Military forces deployed on Cairo’s streets. Credit: Hazem Barakat.

At least one protester has been killed and 20 injured during clashes with security forces in Al-Matareya, reported Egypt’s Ministry of Health. Meanwhile, two members of Egypt’s military were also killed in separate incidents.

Egypt’s police report that Muslim Brotherhood supporters opened fire on security forces, leading to the dispersal of the demonstrators. However, the Muslim Brotherhood’s social media accounts have said that security forces randomly opened fire on a peaceful demonstration.

Following the death of the protester, special forces were deployed to Al-Matareya and the suburb’s square was shut down by security forces.

A man was also arrested after throwing a bomb from October 6 Bridge onto Abdel Moneim Riyadh Square in downtown Cairo, said the Ministry of Interior, adding that no one was injured in the attack.

Earlier in the day, a brigadier-general was killed in Gesr Al-Suez in Cairo after unidentified gunmen opened fire on a military checkpoint. Two other soldiers were also injured.

A second soldier was meanwhile killed in Ain Shams during demonstrations held by those heeding the call to protest by the Salafist front.

Meanwhile, in Sharqiya, at least six were injured after a homemade explosive detonated including three police officers, two security personnel, and a child were among those injured reported Aswat Masriya.

Egypt’s ultra-conservative Salafist front had called for protests on November 28 calling for ‘an Islamic revolution,’ aimed at ‘imposing Islamic identity’ in Egypt.

Egypt’s police has arrested at least 145 since demonstrations, limited in size, kicked off across the nation.

Egypt's Former Police Chief El-Adly Found Not Guilty of Killing Protesters
High Ranking Military Officers Killed in Egypt

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Eiffel Tower Goes Dark as World Leaders Condemn Attack in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

ISIS Attempts to Erupt Sectarian Violence Between Egypt’s Muslims and Christians: Al-Sisi

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Bombs Terrorists in Libya Following Massacre of 28 Coptic Christians in Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Identifies a 2-Year-Old as the Youngest Victim of the Minya Bus Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Daily News Egypt Confirms Technical Issue with the Website

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

28 Killed, Including Children, in Attack on Bus Carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Head of Supreme Council for Media Approves the Ban Decision of the 21 News Websites

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Mada Masr Publishes Content on Social Media Temporarily in Face of News Websites Ban

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.