News

Egypt Sentences 11 to Death for Port Said Stadium Massacre

Egypt Sentences 11 to Death for Port Said Stadium Massacre

portsa

The Port Said Criminal Court sentenced on Tuesday 11 defendants to death over murder charges during stadium violence which erupted in the canal city of Port Said in February 2012.

Seventy-three defendants faced trial for killing over 70 football fans in February 2012 at the end of a match between Cairo’s Al Ahly and al-Masry football clubs. Defendants included nine security leaders and three Masry club officials.

The court referred the 11 defendants to the Grand Mufti to issue an opinion over sentencing them to death on April 19. The verdict was due to be issued on May 30, yet it was postponed until today.

Ten of the defendants sentenced to death were sentenced in session, while one was sentenced in abesntia.

Before issuing the verdicts, the judge presiding over the trial criticised the nature of ultras fan groups and stressed the necessity of having legislations which deal with their activities.

The court sentenced 10 defendants to 15 years in maximum security prison. Fifteen defendants were sentenced to 10 years’ maximum security prison, five of whom were sentenced in absentia.

Eleven defendants were sentenced to five years in prison. Four more defendants were sentenced to five years’ labour, including Port Said’s former security director and the chairman of Port Said’s Masry club.

One defendant was sentenced to a year’s labour in absentia.

The remaining 21 defendants were acquitted.

The sentences can all be appealed. A member of the defence team said they will challenge the sentences at the Cassation Court.

The public prosecution is obliged to challenge the 11 death sentences, a judicial source said.

An Egyptian urgent matters court banned last month the activities of all ultra’s fan groups nationwide, accusing them of complicity in “riots” and vandalism.

In January 2013, a Port Said Criminal Court sentenced 21 defendants to death for partaking in a stadium riot in which more than 70 died.

Violence erupted in the city following the 2013 verdict as thousands of people besieged Port Said’s prison. At least 40 people were killed in clashes.

Egypt’s Court of Cassation overturned the sentences in February 2014, ordering a retrial.

Suicide Bomb Attack Targeting Luxor's Karnak Temple Foiled
Egyptian Courts To See The Appointment Of More Female Judges

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

Long-Awaited Naguib Mahfouz Museum to Open End of June

Egyptian StreetsJune 19, 2019

Who Was Mohamed Morsi? A Timeline of His Rise and Fall

Egyptian StreetsJune 18, 2019

Turkey, Qatar Only Countries to React to Morsi’s Death

Egyptian StreetsJune 18, 2019

Egypt’s Former President Mohamed Morsi Dies of a Heart Attack in Court

Egyptian StreetsJune 17, 2019

First Creative Entrepreneurship Event in Egypt For Women

Egyptian StreetsJune 16, 2019

Cairo’s Third Metro Line Fare Prices Increase to EGP 5 – EGP 10

Egyptian StreetsJune 16, 2019

Aguirre: I Will Leave If I Don’t Achieve Egypt’s Targets

Egyptian StreetsJune 15, 2019

Egyptian MP Proposes Abolishing Plastic Bags in Favour of Eco-Friendly Alternatives

Egyptian StreetsJune 11, 2019
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.