News

Three Soldiers, 59 Militants Killed in Egypt’s North Sinai

Three Soldiers, 59 Militants Killed in Egypt’s North Sinai

Screen Shot 2015-07-18 at 8.59.09 pm

Three soldiers have been killed and four injured after a mortar launched by militants landed at a security checkpoint in Sheikh Zuweid, announced Egypt’s Military.

News of the deaths comes after Egypt’s Armed Forces released two separate press releases which stated that 45 “terrorists had been eliminated” and others arrested. According to the press releases, the military had engaged multiple targets in the North Sinai.

In a later statement on television, Egypt’s Armed Forces spokesperson stated that a further 14 militants had been killed.

Throughout the past 48 hours, Egypt’s Military had been releasing videos it says shows the Egyptian airforce targeting multiple militant locations, including explosive-laden trucks.

The latest operations come after 100 militants and 17 soldiers were killed in one of the largest-scale attacks waged against military locations on July 1.

IS-affiliated Ansar Bait Al-Maqdis (Sinai Province) attacked nearly a dozen security checkpoints in the North Sinai region. Multiple civilians, including one who was killed by militants after refusing to allow them to use his rooftop as a location for a sniper, were also reported killed in the attacks.

84 Arrested for Sexual Harassment During Eid in Cairo
Government’s Anti-Sexual Harassment Eid Initiative Draws Mixed Reactions

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Egypt’s State of Emergency to Be Extended for Three More Months

Egyptian StreetsOctober 22, 2018

Egyptian Man Who Reported Wife for Daughters’ FGM Turns Out to Be Culprit

Egyptian StreetsOctober 21, 2018

Egypt to Launch the First Global Fatwa Index to Fight Extremism

Mirna AbdulaalOctober 21, 2018

Egyptian Cabinet Vetos the Upcoming Increase of Fuel Prices

Nour EltiganiOctober 21, 2018

Egypt Praises ‘Brave’ Saudi Investigation into Killing of Khashoggi in Saudi Consulate

Mirna AbdulaalOctober 20, 2018

Egypt Man Presses Charges Against Wife for FGM of their Two Daughters

Egyptian StreetsOctober 20, 2018

Algeria Bans the Niqab in the Workplace

Mirna AbdulaalOctober 19, 2018

Khashoggi ‘Died After Fight’ Says Saudi Arabia

Egyptian StreetsOctober 19, 2018
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.