News

Mexico ‘Dissatisfied’ with Egypt’s Investigation of 2015 Accidental Killing of Tourists

Mexico ‘Dissatisfied’ with Egypt’s Investigation of 2015 Accidental Killing of Tourists

pablo (85)

In a statement released on Thursday, Mexico said it was unhappy with the way in which the Egyptian government responded to the ‘accidental’ killing of eight Mexican tourists by security forces last year.

A letter sent by Mexico’s Foreign Ministry to the Egyptian embassy expressed the country’s “surprise and dissatisfaction” with Egypt’s failure to fully investigate the attacks, convict the perpetrators and appropriately compensate the victims’ families.

Despite media reports of ongoing negotiations with the families regarding compensation, Mexican authorities have not been informed of this, according to the ministry.

Earlier this week, the federation of Egyptian tourism agencies said it had compensated the families of three of the eight Mexican tourists killed in last year’s attack with USD 140,000 each.

“Negotiations are underway with the other five families in order to close the case definitively,” Ahmed Ibrahim, treasurer of the Egyptian Travel Agents Association told AFP.

Eight Mexican tourists and four Egyptian guides died after Egyptian security forces opened fire on four SUVs that were navigating the Western Desert on their way to Bahariya Oasis in September last year. The tourist convoy was bombed from air by military helicopters and aircraft. It was one of the deadliest attacks on foreign tourists in Egypt in years.

Egypt’s Ministry of Interior said that military and police forces had been conducting security operations in El-Wahat (Western Oasis) in the Western Desert. After opening fire, security forces discovered that the four vehicles were civilian. The vehicles had, according to the interior ministry, been in an area prohibited to civilians due to the dangerous security situation.

Egypt's Luxor Named World Tourism Capital of 2016
Egypt to Build 656,000 Affordable Housing Units

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Mohamed Salah Crowned the PFA Player of the Year Award

Egyptian StreetsApril 22, 2018

Detained Journalist Shawkan Wins UNESCO’s Press Freedom Prize Despite FM Criticism

Egyptian StreetsApril 22, 2018

World Bank, Egypt Sign $US 500 Million Agreement to Reform Egypt’s Public Schools

Egyptian StreetsApril 22, 2018

Egyptian Teenager Kills Mother and Brother to Complete ‘Blue Whale’ Suicide Game Task

Egyptian StreetsApril 22, 2018

Mariam Moustafa’s Lawyer Receives Death Threat, Pressured to Drop the Case

Egyptian StreetsApril 22, 2018

Luxor’s Karnak Temple to be More Accessible for Special Needs Visitors

Egyptian StreetsApril 21, 2018

Egypt Faces 54 Billion Cubic Meters Water Shortage: Minister

Egyptian StreetsApril 21, 2018

Sudden Death of Swedish DJ Avicii Leaves Fans Sad, Shocked

Egyptian StreetsApril 21, 2018
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.