News

Sudan President Accuses Egypt of “Occupying Sudanese Lands”

Sudan President Accuses Egypt of “Occupying Sudanese Lands”

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi (L) meets with Sudan’s President Omar Al-Bashir in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on January 30, 2015. Photo: Anadolu Agency

Sudanese President Omar Al-Bashir accuses Egypt, again, of occupying the Halayeb triangle and illegally imposing its sovereignty over it.

In his interview with the Qatari outlet Al-Jazeera, Al-Bashir said Sudan rejects war against Egypt and is ready for arbitration of the United Nations security council in the case, to prove that Halayeb triangle belongs to the Sudanese territories. He further added that Egypt’s occupation was done when Sudan was busy to stand in face of insurgency of South Sudan.

“Bilateral relations between Egypt and Sudan are rather vital and profound. When the Egyptian military aviation had been attacked in 1967, the planes went to Sudan with no prior agreement and Sudan opened its borders,” Al-Bashir said.

He went to say that Egypt’s occupation to Halayeb triangle has had a severe impact on the bilateral relations. Al-Bashir continued that Egyptian media, both private and state-owned, is attacking Sudan.

Prior to assuming the Egyptian president, Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi said that the Halayeb triangle is a part of the Egyptian territories and called on Sudan not to start a conflict.

Although Al-Bashir asserts in every interview that the Halayeb triangle belongs to the Sudanese territories, Egypt’s Foreign Ministry insists that the Halayeb triangle is under the Egyptian sovereignty.

Ambassador Mohamed AlShazly told the privately-owned Al-Masry Al-Youm that he believes that Al-Bashir’s attack on Egypt will increase over the next period as the United Nations have lifted its sanctions that were imposed on Al-Khartoum after it had considered it as a country that sponsors terrorism.

Other analysts believe that Qatar is using Al-Bashir to irritate Egypt.

In April, Sudan has decided to impose entry visas on Egyptian men aged 18 to 50. It claimed that the measure was to prevent terrorists from infiltrating the country. Responding, Egypt introduced similar measures. The entry visas don’t comply with the agreement that Egypt and Sudan had signed in 2004 whereby citizens of both countries were allowed to travel, work and own properties with no permits.

Cairo and Al-Khartoum have also had different stances on the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD), as Al-Khartoum is strongly supporting the dam and its construction. This dam is thought to have a negative impact on Egypt’s quota of the water.

Nassim el-Raqs: Artistry Unleashed in the City of Alexandria
Syrian Refugees Contributed over $US 800 Million to Egypt’s Economy Since 2011: UNDP Report

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Banners in Cairo Urges Men to Prevent Women from Wearing Tight Clothes

Egyptian StreetsAugust 21, 2017

Egypt Confiscates Assets of 16 Muslim Brotherhood Members, Seizes Control of Alef Bookstores Among Others

Egyptian StreetsAugust 21, 2017

State-Run Newspaper Akhbar Al Youm to Take Over Daily News Egypt

Egyptian StreetsAugust 20, 2017

Egypt Celebrates the 7th Edition of the Annual Handicrafts Festival

Egyptian StreetsAugust 20, 2017

What We Know About the Spain Terror Attacks

Egyptian StreetsAugust 18, 2017

Spanish Police Kill Several People to ‘Stop Second Attack’

Egyptian StreetsAugust 18, 2017

13 Killed, Dozens Injured in Barcelona Terror Attack

Egyptian StreetsAugust 17, 2017

Egypt to Receive Final Tranche of $3 Billion World Bank Loan to Support Socio-Economic Program

Egyptian StreetsAugust 17, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.