Egypt’s military began carrying out air strikes and ground operations in the vicinity of the al-Rawda mosque in North Sinai’s al-Arish where 305 worshippers were killed as they were attending Friday prayers on November 24.
A statement by the army’s official spokesperson said that “takfiri elements responsible for the brutal terrorist” attack were targeted last night.
The army and local law enforcement destroyed several outposts used by the militants where they found weapons, ammunition and explosive materials, the statement went on to say.
The army continues to comb the area for other militants who may have been involved in the attack.
No information was provided as to how the army concluded that those targeted were the ones responsible for yesterday’s attack.
Security sources told Reuters that the army’s operations had been concentrated in mountainous areas surrounding the al-Rawda mosque where the militants responsible for Friday’s attack are believed to be hiding out.
At least 305 people were killed and more than 109 injured after unidentified militants stormed Al-Rawda mosque with explosives and heavy weaponry. Initial reports indicate the attack involved at least one suicide bombing and heavy gunfire.