News

13 fishermen killed, 14 missing after boat crash in Egypt

13 fishermen killed, 14 missing after boat crash in Egypt
REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh

Egyptian authorities will issue 5,000 Egyptian pounds worth of compensation for each of the families of those who died in a sunken boat in the Red Sea on Sunday, the governor of Daqahliyah said.

A fishing boat crashed into a trade ship in the Red Sea early Sunday, killing 13 fishermen. The boat, ‘Badr al-Islam’, was carrying 40 Egyptian fishermen and sailing in the Gabal al-Zayt region.

Daqahliyah Governor Omar al-Shawadfi added that those injured, so far 13, will be compensated with 2,000 Egyptian pounds each, reported state-run news agency MENA.

Egypt’s armed forces sent a military plane to South Sinai to look for the missing fishermen, a military source said.

Al-Araby al-Sarawy, the governor of Suez, told Aswat Masriya that the naval forces and the border guards were collaborating in search for the missing fishermen.

The General Authority for the Red Sea Ports announced the confiscation of the trade ship which caused the accident.

Authority Spokesman Abdel Rehim Mostafa said the ship was carrying 220 tonnes of cargo.

Around 1000 people died in the Red Sea in February 2006 when a ferry sailing from Saudi Arabia caught fire, going down in history as one of Egypt’s worst sea accidents.

Hostage Taker In Sydney Identified As Man Charged With 47 Counts of Sexual Assault
Have You Ever Been Sexually Harassed in Egypt?

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

A snapshot from a video released on Twitter by Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis on August 28, 2014.

Australia Declares ‘Ansar Bait Al-Maqdis’ a Terrorist Organization

Egyptian StreetsDecember 10, 2016
nieuwe-groep-claimt-aanslag-cairo-961x658

Seven Killed in Giza, Kafr El-Sheikh Explosions Targeting Police

Egyptian StreetsDecember 10, 2016
1000_1472412595osama_mursi_22415

Former President Morsi’s Son Arrested

Egyptian StreetsDecember 9, 2016
azzasoliman

Egyptian Women’s Rights Activist Azza Soliman Released on Bail after Arrest

Egyptian StreetsDecember 8, 2016
Credit: Martin Roemers/Anastasia Photo

Professors and Doctors Among 45 Arrested in Egypt Organ Trafficking Ring

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
05black

Egypt’s Foreign Reserves Rise to $US 23 Billion

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
1200x-1-1024x697-1

Naguib Sawiris Steps Down as CEO of Orascom in Surprise Resignation

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
One of the leaked images allegedly from a Heinz Egypt factory.

Senior Heinz Egypt Employee Arrested After 62 Tonnes of Rotten Tomatoes Found

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.