News

13 fishermen killed, 14 missing after boat crash in Egypt

13 fishermen killed, 14 missing after boat crash in Egypt
REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh
REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh

Egyptian authorities will issue 5,000 Egyptian pounds worth of compensation for each of the families of those who died in a sunken boat in the Red Sea on Sunday, the governor of Daqahliyah said.

A fishing boat crashed into a trade ship in the Red Sea early Sunday, killing 13 fishermen. The boat, ‘Badr al-Islam’, was carrying 40 Egyptian fishermen and sailing in the Gabal al-Zayt region.

Daqahliyah Governor Omar al-Shawadfi added that those injured, so far 13, will be compensated with 2,000 Egyptian pounds each, reported state-run news agency MENA.

Egypt’s armed forces sent a military plane to South Sinai to look for the missing fishermen, a military source said.

Al-Araby al-Sarawy, the governor of Suez, told Aswat Masriya that the naval forces and the border guards were collaborating in search for the missing fishermen.

The General Authority for the Red Sea Ports announced the confiscation of the trade ship which caused the accident.

Authority Spokesman Abdel Rehim Mostafa said the ship was carrying 220 tonnes of cargo.

Around 1000 people died in the Red Sea in February 2006 when a ferry sailing from Saudi Arabia caught fire, going down in history as one of Egypt’s worst sea accidents.

Hostage Taker In Sydney Identified As Man Charged With 47 Counts of Sexual Assault
Have You Ever Been Sexually Harassed in Egypt?

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

Egypt Bans 21 News Websites, including Al-Jazeera, on Claims of ‘Supporting Terrorism’

Engy AdhamMay 24, 2017

Rights Lawyer Khaled Ali Released on Bail Pending Trial

Engy AdhamMay 24, 2017

Rights Lawyer and Former Presidential Candidate Khaled Ali Held Overnight Pending Investigations

Egyptian StreetsMay 23, 2017

Egyptian Authorities Demolish Ras Sudr Kiteloop Camp, Other Attractions For ‘Violating State Property’

Egyptian StreetsMay 23, 2017

ISIS Claims Responsibility For Manchester Arena Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 23, 2017

19 Killed in ‘Explosions’ at Ariana Grande Concert in UK

Egyptian StreetsMay 23, 2017

Canadian Minister to Contribute to the Egyptian Educational System

Egyptian StreetsMay 22, 2017

Cannes Festival: Egypt Scores Majority of Awards of the ‘Arab Critics Awards’

Egyptian StreetsMay 22, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.