News

Egypt’s Military Strikes ISIS In Libya

Egypt’s Military Strikes ISIS In Libya

Egyptian jet shortly before take off to strike targets in Libya
Egyptian jet shortly before take off to strike targets in Libya

Egypt’s armed forces carried out airstrikes against Islamic State Fighters in Libya on Monday dawn, hours after a video surfaced showing the beheadings of 21 Egyptian nationals in Libya.

The armed forces said in a statement that the strike was “precise,” adding that the air force troops have safely returned to their bases.

The army said the target of the strikes is “training points and weapons and ammunition storage” sites belonging to the Islamic State Fighters in Iraq and Syria, on Libyan soil.

A video was released on Sunday night, titled “a message signed with blood to the nation of the cross.” It showed masked men beheading 21 Egyptian Copts who had been kidnapped in Libya for weeks.

The men responsible for the beheading are believed to belong to a division of Islamic State Fighters in Libya.

In response, President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said in a televised address that “Egypt reserves the right to respond in the method and timing it deems suitable for retribution from these killers.”

The decision to strike Libyan targets comes after an urgent meeting of Egypt’s National Defence Council, which Sisi called for.

64 ISIS Members Killed As Egypt Launches First Foreign Strikes In 24 Years
Egypt Reserves The Right To Respond To Libya killings

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

Eiffel Tower Goes Dark as World Leaders Condemn Attack in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

ISIS Attempts to Erupt Sectarian Violence Between Egypt’s Muslims and Christians: Al-Sisi

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Bombs Terrorists in Libya Following Massacre of 28 Coptic Christians in Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Identifies a 2-Year-Old as the Youngest Victim of the Minya Bus Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Daily News Egypt Confirms Technical Issue with the Website

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

28 Killed, Including Children, in Attack on Bus Carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Head of Supreme Council for Media Approves the Ban Decision of the 21 News Websites

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Mada Masr Publishes Content on Social Media Temporarily in Face of News Websites Ban

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.