News

Top Muslim Brotherhood Leaders Placed On Egypt’s “Terror” List

Top Muslim Brotherhood Leaders Placed On Egypt’s “Terror” List

mbs

Egyptian Prosecutor General Hisham Barakat ordered on Sunday the listing of several prominent Muslim Brotherhood leaders as “terrorists”, including Supreme Guide Mohamed Badie.

This decision is the first implementation of anti-terrorism legislation officially issued last month, a statement from the prosecutor’s office said.

The decision orders placing 18 in total including, deputy supreme guides Khairat al-Shater and Rashad Bayoumi, ex-supreme guide Mahdi Akef and leading Brotherhood figures Saad al-Katatni, Essam El-Erian and Mohamed El-Beltagy and others on the “terror list”.

The top prosecutor said the decision is based on a final court verdict issued against the 18 individuals for deadly violence that took place outside the Brotherhood’s headquarters in 2013.

On February 28, a criminal court sentenced Badie and 13 other group leaders to life in prison for inciting violence, while upholding the death sentences against four of those on trial.

The 18 defendants were charged with premeditated murder, attempted murder, possession of explosives and firearms, and incitement to murder.

Recently issued anti-terrorism legislation tasks the public prosecution with preparing a “list of terrorist bodies” and a “list of terrorists”, based on decisions by a special criminal judicial circuit at the Cairo Court of Appeals.

An individual whose name ends up on a terrorists’ list is put on a travel ban list. If the individual is a foreigner, they are put on an entry ban list.

Individuals listed as terrorists would also have their passports seized and would be prevented from issuing new passports, as per the law.

Muslim Brotherhood leaders have often found themselves behind bars and facing courts since the ouster of Brotherhood member and former President Mohamed Mursi in July 2013, following mass protests against his rule.

Dog Killers' Jail Sentences Reduced From Three Years To Three Months
Arab League Approves Formation of Joint Arab Military Force

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

Gunmen Attack a Bus Carrying Christians Killing 24 and Injuring 25 in Menya Governorate

Engy AdhamMay 26, 2017

Head of Supreme Council for Media Approves the Ban Decision of the 21 News Websites

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Mada Masr Publishes Content on Social Media Temporarily in Face of News Websites Ban

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Egypt Pours €360 Million into Renewing Alexandria’s Tram Network

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Egypt Bans 21 News Websites, Including Mada Masr, on Claims of ‘Supporting Terrorism’

Engy AdhamMay 24, 2017

Rights Lawyer Khaled Ali Released on Bail Pending Trial

Engy AdhamMay 24, 2017

Rights Lawyer and Former Presidential Candidate Khaled Ali Held Overnight Pending Investigations

Egyptian StreetsMay 23, 2017

Egyptian Authorities Demolish Ras Sudr Kiteloop Camp, Other Attractions For ‘Violating State Property’

Egyptian StreetsMay 23, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.