News

77 Women to Sue Cairo University After Niqab Ban

77 Women to Sue Cairo University After Niqab Ban

Mideast-Egypt_Horo-110-635x357

By Aswat Masriya

Seventy-seven niqab-wearing faculty members from across Cairo University are preparing to file a law suit against the university president, a lawyer involved in the case told Aswat Masriya.

Ahmed Mahran, the head of the Cairo Center for Political and Legal Studies said the complainants asked him to raise a case against university president Gaber Nassar because of his decision last week to ban niqab-wearing faculty from teaching.

Mahran said the group included women who do not wear the niqab (full face veil) but were involved in solidarity with those who were harmed by the ban.

Cairo University administration said last Tuesday at the time that “it is not permitted for female faculty … in all colleges and institutes, to give lectures, tutorials, attend labs or deliver scientific training while wearing the niqab.”

The niqab is viewed by ultra-conservative Muslims as a sign of modesty. The vast majority of women in Egypt, however, do not wear it.

Procedures to file the case before the Administrative Court will start on Saturday, Mahran said.

Cairo University is the oldest higher education institution in Egypt.

Nassar said the decision to ban niqab-wearing faculty was taken for the benefit of the educational process and the public interest.

He argued that his decision is based on Law 49 of 1972 and decree 809 of 1975, which give him the right to issue executive regulatory by-laws, explaining that he has shared his proposal with the deans of all Cairo University faculties.

MSF Demands War Crimes Investigation After US Bombing of Hospital
The Spiritual Adventure of Egypt's First Mountaineer on Everest

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

Daily News Egypt ‘Blocked’ in Egypt

Egyptian StreetsMay 28, 2017

ISIS Claims Responsibility for Egypt’s Minya Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

Eiffel Tower Goes Dark as World Leaders Condemn Attack in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

ISIS Attempts to Erupt Sectarian Violence Between Egypt’s Muslims and Christians: Al-Sisi

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Bombs Terrorists in Libya Following Massacre of 28 Coptic Christians in Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Identifies a 2-Year-Old as the Youngest Victim of the Minya Bus Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Daily News Egypt Confirms Technical Issue with the Website

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

28 Killed, Including Children, in Attack on Bus Carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.