News

1,000 Men Harassed and Raped Dozens of Women, German Police Accused of ‘Covering Up’

1,000 Men Harassed and Raped Dozens of Women, German Police Accused of ‘Covering Up’

Women shout slogans and hold up a placard that reads "Against Sexism - Against Racism" as they march through the main railways station of Cologne, Germany, on January 5 (Reuters)
Women shout slogans and hold up a placard that reads “Against Sexism – Against Racism” as they march through the main railways station of Cologne, Germany, on January 5 (Reuters)

German police have been accused of covering up claims of sexual assault and harassment during New  Year’s Eve celebrations in Cologne in a bid to prevent the public from blaming refugees.

The German city is reeling after 1,000 ‘Arab or North African’ men were accused of sexually violating dozens of women near Cologne’s main train station and its famous cathedral.

During a news conference, Cologne’s Police Chief Wolfgang Albers confirmed that about “1,000 young” men who appeared to be from “the Arab or North African region” molested, groped, robbed and even raped dozens of women.

Cologne’s police, however, have been accused of covering up the attacks, with details emerging days after the incidents occurred. One police officer, who remained anonymous, told a Cologne-based news website that eight suspects he had detained “were all asylum seekers.” However, the government has refused to confirm such claims.

Chancellor Angela Merkel has meanwhile lashed out at the failure of police to prevent the attacks and described her “outrage over these disgusting attacks and sexual assaults.” Chancellor Merkel added that police must act to identify the perpetrators and punish them “regardless of their origin or background.”

Merkel’s comments came after hundreds of women demonstrated against the attacks in cologne, urging the government to do more.

According to a German newspaper, which published leaked official police transcripts from the events during New Year’s Eve, at least 15 of the attackers are said to be of “Afghan and Syrian” origin, all carrying refugee papers.

Meanwhile, one 28-year-old woman, describing her ordeal to Cologne-based news website Express, said that she had been attacked by men with “foreign appearances”.

“It was horrible. Although we screamed and flailed about, the guys didn’t stop. I was beside myself and think that I was touched about 100 times across around 200 meters,” said the woman, identified only as Katja L..

Meanwhile, the BBC reports that a 15-year-old girl and her mother were surrounded by a large crowd before being groped “between their legs”.

Another woman told the BBC that she was attacked with fireworks before being groped and robbed by men who “spoke neither German nor English”.

In response to the attacks, Cologne’s Mayor said it was important to prevent such incidents from happening again. However, the mayor, Henriette Reker, has been criticized for saying women should adopt a “code of conduct” that would include “staying an arm’s length away from strangers”, remaining with your own group, and asking bystanders for help. The mayor was strongly criticized by those who feel her comments constitute victim-blaming.

According to the Times, Cologne received nearly 10,000 refugees last year. There are fears that the recent incident will increase animosity towards genuine refugees and asylum seekers.

Egypt to Shut Down 'Most Hated' Building: The Mugamaa
Egypt's President Sisi Vows to Rebuild All Destroyed Churches in 2016

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Daily News Egypt ‘Blocked’ in Egypt

Egyptian StreetsMay 28, 2017

ISIS Claims Responsibility for Egypt’s Minya Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

Eiffel Tower Goes Dark as World Leaders Condemn Attack in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

ISIS Attempts to Erupt Sectarian Violence Between Egypt’s Muslims and Christians: Al-Sisi

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Bombs Terrorists in Libya Following Massacre of 28 Coptic Christians in Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Identifies a 2-Year-Old as the Youngest Victim of the Minya Bus Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Daily News Egypt Confirms Technical Issue with the Website

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

28 Killed, Including Children, in Attack on Bus Carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.