News

Egyptian Army Kills 88 ‘Terrorists’ in North Sinai in Third Phase of ‘Martyr’s Right’ Operation

Egyptian Army Kills 88 ‘Terrorists’ in North Sinai in Third Phase of ‘Martyr’s Right’ Operation

Archive photograph of military deployment in Egypt released by Military spokesperson.

Egypt’s Armed Forces have killed 88 militants in central and North Sinai during military operations spanning four days, army spokesman Mohamed Samir said in a statement.

The attacks are part of the third phase of the latest military operation, dubbed ”Martyr’s Right,” which was launched in September 2015 in response to the killing of 33 security personnel the previous year.

President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi declared a state of emergency in the restive region as a result of the attack. The state of emergency has been extended several times since then.

On Tuesday, the Egyptian parliament voted to renew the state of emergency in the Sinai for an additional three months.

The army statement further noted that 73 hideouts, 57 homes and 15 vehicles were destroyed, in addition to three suspected militants being arrested in the towns of Sheikh Zuweid, Rafah and Halal Mountain.

The spokesman also said the army increased its control over Egyptian coastal areas to prevent illegal immigration, infiltration and smuggling.

This latest development comes just two days after the army announced that it had killed 13 other militants and destroyed or confiscated equipment intended to be used in attacks against security forces.

Egypt’s North Sinai has witnessed a surge in violence since the 2011 uprising that toppled then-president Hosni Mubarak, leaving a security vacuum in several parts of the country. Militants in Sinai exploited the instability and intensified their attacks against Egyptian interests in the region.

The attacks increased following the ouster of Egypt’s first elected president Mohamed Morsi in 2013. The most dominant group in the area, Ansar Beit Al-Maqdis, pledged allegiance to the Islamic State in November 2014 and rebranded itself as Wilayat Sinai, or the Sinai Province.

'Rock-Star Economist' Thomas Piketty to Lecture in Cairo Next Week
Coptic Christian Woman Stripped, Dragged in Streets of Egypt's Minya Amid Sectarian Clashes

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

ISIS Attempts to Erupt Sectarian Violence Between Egypt’s Muslims and Christians: Al-Sisi

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Bombs Terrorists in Libya Following Massacre of 28 Coptic Christians in Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Identifies a 2-Year-Old as the Youngest Victim of the Minya Bus Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Daily News Egypt Confirms Technical Issue with the Website

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

28 Killed, Including Children, in Attack on Bus Carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Head of Supreme Council for Media Approves the Ban Decision of the 21 News Websites

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Mada Masr Publishes Content on Social Media Temporarily in Face of News Websites Ban

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017

Egypt Pours €360 Million into Renewing Alexandria’s Tram Network

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.