International

‘Not Terrorism’: Germany Says Munich Gunman Was Obsessed With Mass Shootings

‘Not Terrorism’: Germany Says Munich Gunman Was Obsessed With Mass Shootings

1469210567611

German authorities said on Saturday that the 18-year-old German-Iranian who killed nine people in Munich before killing himself had no link to international terrorism.

The Interior Minister said that the young killer, who had been undergoing psychiatric care for depression, had “obvious links” to Norwegian Anders Breivik. Friday marked five years since Breivik killed 77 people, mainly young people, in Norway.

According to German police, the gunman had more than 300 rounds of ammunition.

Initial reports indicate that the gunman used Breivik’s photograph on WhatsApp. The gunman, who has not been named, may have lured his victims to the location of the shooting at the Shopping Center by using a fake account as a girl.

Seven of the gunman’s nine victims were teenagers, said police.

Video, allegedly of the gunman, shows him shouting that he is German during the attack leading some to assume that he may have been an anti-immigration extremist. However, this was later proven to be incorrect.

Ten people remain critically injured, including a 13-year-old boy. Terror incidents have been on the rise in 2016, with a number of attacks in Europe.

Solar Impulse 2 Leaves Cairo, Heads to Abu Dhabi as World Tour Comes to a Close
61 Killed in ISIS Terror Attack in Afghanistan

Subscribe to our newsletter


International

More in International

ISIS Claims Responsibility For Manchester Arena Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 23, 2017

19 Killed in ‘Explosions’ at Ariana Grande Concert in UK

Egyptian StreetsMay 23, 2017

Cannes Festival: Egypt Scores Majority of Awards of the ‘Arab Critics Awards’

Egyptian StreetsMay 22, 2017

Activists Turn Tables Against Israeli Minister Wearing Jerusalem Dress

Egyptian StreetsMay 18, 2017

Italian Prosecutor Holds Talk in Egypt Over Giulio Regeni’s Case

Egyptian StreetsMay 18, 2017

Trump Intends to Visit Cairo Soon: Egyptian Presidency

Egyptian StreetsMay 16, 2017

Pope Tawadros II meets Queen Elizabeth in the UK

Egyptian StreetsMay 10, 2017

After Boycott Threats, Pizza Hut Apologizes for Mocking Palestinian Detainees Hunger Strike

Egyptian StreetsMay 9, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.