News

Missing Egyptian Youth Mysteriously Reappear in Alexandria

Missing Egyptian Youth Mysteriously Reappear in Alexandria

CbN8Yj7W4AAUvD7

Following the arrest of at least 19 Alexandrian young men in their homes by security forces on 4 and 5 February and their transfer to unknown locations, the Egyptian Centre for Economic and Social Rights (ECESR) now claims they reappeared in Al-Montazah police station last Saturday.

While the police initially denied that the youths had been taken into custody, activist Mona Seif posted on Facebook pictures of 15 of them, as well as testimonies from their families. One such testimony claimed that security forces assaulted the men and when relatives asked where the police were taking them, they were told that their bodies could later be recovered from the morgue.

Following the youths’ reappearance on 13 February, the prosecutor decided to detain them for 15 days pending investigations.

According to the ECESR statement, they were charged with belonging to an outlawed group, setting fire to ATMs, the Mandara police station and a car and a motorcycle belonging to the police, in addition to possessing fireworks and Molotov cocktails.

Although not confirmed as of yet, information has emerged from the families of the disappeared suggesting that they were subjected to torture while in custody. Some of them have been described as being in critical condition.

Abdallah al-Naggar, director of the Arab African Center for Human Rights, told Mada Masr that the abduction of the young men is part of an effort by state security to undermine a growing youth movement in Alexandria. He stressed that the men are neither affiliated with any political forces nor involved in illegal activities of any sort.

“I wish I knew the reason why, because the law says after 24 hours the prosecutor should let us know if there is a case, but it’s been seven days,” said the father of 15-year-old abductee Anis Mohamed Naguib. “We’ve been to the police station, we’ve been to the prosecutor, we’ve been to the court and no one will tell us any information. I want there to be a case, with a number, so we can defend ourselves, but there is no law.”

The lack of coverage in local media on the incident has highlighted the role alternative initiatives can play in giving attention to the phenomenon of enforced disappearances.

The Freedom for the Brave campaign is one such initiative that reported on the disappearance of the youths. One of the men they identified was Naguib, who was kidnapped by security forces from his home and beaten in front of his family in the street and subsequently taken into a police vehicle that drove away to an undisclosed location.

Security forces also reportedly abducted 20-year-old Abdel Rahman Moataz without giving formal charges.

“At 7 am on Thursday [February 4] police stormed the building. They kidnapped him and took him to an unknown location,” Moataz’s mother described the events. “We have been looking for him in a number of police stations but have not been able to find him. They took EGP 4000 and his S4 mobile phone, even though I told them he was my son. Please pray for my son.”

Hundreds of cases of enforced disappearances were documented by rights groups in 2015. The Egyptian Commission for Rights and Freedoms registered 1411 cases during the first ten months of the year, with only 332 being resolved so far. According to the campaign Stop Enforced Disappearances, it documented 215 cases between August and September. A number of international organizations such as Human Rights Watch and Amnesty have on their part documented dozens of incidents and issued strong condemnations of the practice.

With a few exceptions, the interior ministry has denied that enforced disappearances occur in Egypt.

Egypt Security Officer Acquitted of Torturing to Death Church Bombing Suspect Sayed Bilal
Renowned Egyptian Journalist Mohamed Hassanein Heikal Dies Aged 92

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@SamirShalabi_

Samir Shalabi is an MA student in Middle East Studies at Stockholm University, Sweden. With a BA in the same subject he primarily writes on Egyptian and Syrian politics and history. Follow Samir on Twitter @SamirShalabi_

More in News

azzasoliman

Egyptian Women’s Rights Activist Azza Soliman Released on Bail after Arrest

Egyptian StreetsDecember 8, 2016
Credit: Martin Roemers/Anastasia Photo

Professors and Doctors Among 45 Arrested in Egypt Organ Trafficking Ring

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
05black

Egypt’s Foreign Reserves Rise to $US 23 Billion

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
1200x-1-1024x697-1

Naguib Sawiris Steps Down as CEO of Orascom in Surprise Resignation

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
One of the leaked images allegedly from a Heinz Egypt factory.

Senior Heinz Egypt Employee Arrested After 62 Tonnes of Rotten Tomatoes Found

Egyptian StreetsDecember 6, 2016
sticlute-de-parfum-2

Import Tariffs on 320 Goods Increased by up to 60 Percent in Egypt

Aswat MasriyaDecember 5, 2016
One of the leaked images allegedly from a Heinz Egypt factory.

‘Disgusting Video’ of Ketchup Production Called Misleading by Heinz Egypt

Egyptian StreetsDecember 4, 2016
squashwomen

Egypt’s Women Make Squash History Taking Top Three Spots in World Ranking

Egyptian StreetsDecember 4, 2016
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2016 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.