News

Egypt Suspends Decision Requiring Travellers To Obtain Visas

Egypt Suspends Decision Requiring Travellers To Obtain Visas

mystic-journey-pyramids-giza-egypt-1-1600x1200.jpg

Egypt’s government has decided to postpone its cancellation of on-arrival visas until it activates a system for electronically obtaining visas, the ministry of tourism announced on Thursday.

Egypt’s Foreign Ministry had announced last month that the country would only allow tourists to acquire visas from embassies, cancelling the possibility of getting entry visas upon arrival at the airport. The decision was scheduled to be implemented starting May 15.

Tourism Minister Khaled Rami said in a statement on Thursday that the decision aims to “organise the entry of foreigners into Egypt in the framework of respecting national sovereignty and considering the state’s national security, yet in a manner that would not affect the flow of tourism.”

Security sources had told Reuters that the decision stemmed from the need to strengthen control on “Western human rights activists’” visits to Egypt.

The decision was met with wide criticism from travel agencies, which warned that it could negatively affect the flow of tourism into the country.

Tourism was a main source of income in Egypt until a popular uprising which toppled former President Hosni Mubarak’s regime in 2011 triggered four years of political turmoil, taking its toll on the sector.

Tourism revenues jumped to almost $4 billion from $1.9 billion during the first half of the current fiscal year 2014/2015, the central bank announced on March 19.

Rami had said in the Egypt Economic Development Conference, held from March 13 – 15, that the state is aiming to increase the number of tourists in 2020 to 20 million tourists, consequently increasing tourism revenues to reach $20 billion.

ES Cover Photo 10

Ancient Egyptian Artifacts Discovered in Underground Cave in Israel
Five Soldiers, Two Civilians Killed in Egypt North Sinai Attacks

Subscribe to our newsletter


News
@AswatMasriya_En

Aswat Masriya is a Thomson Reuters Foundation-sponsored website that covers Egypt's transition to democracy. en.aswatmasriya.com

More in News

ISIS Claims Responsibility for Egypt’s Minya Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

Eiffel Tower Goes Dark as World Leaders Condemn Attack in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

ISIS Attempts to Erupt Sectarian Violence Between Egypt’s Muslims and Christians: Al-Sisi

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Bombs Terrorists in Libya Following Massacre of 28 Coptic Christians in Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Identifies a 2-Year-Old as the Youngest Victim of the Minya Bus Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Daily News Egypt Confirms Technical Issue with the Website

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

28 Killed, Including Children, in Attack on Bus Carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Head of Supreme Council for Media Approves the Ban Decision of the 21 News Websites

Egyptian StreetsMay 25, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.