News

Top FIFA Officials Arrested For Corruption

Top FIFA Officials Arrested For Corruption

fifa2

Seven leading FIFA officials have been arrested in Zurich over corruption charges and face extradition to the U.S., reported the New York Times on Wednesday morning.

According to the New York Times’ report, which was later confirmed by US and Swiss officials, the suspects were arrested at the Baur au Lac hotel, a five-star hotel in Zurich, for allegedly accepting bribes worth up to $US 100 million since the 1990s.

Those arrested include Jack Warner, a former FIFA Vice-President, Jeffrey Web, head of the confederation for North and Central America and the Carribean (Concacaf), Eduardo Li, who was due to join FIFA’s executive committee at a FIFA summit on Friday and who is Costa Rica’s national football chief, Eugenio Figueredo, the President of South America’s football governing body Conmebol, and Brazil’s Jose Maria Marin, a member of the FIFA’s committee.

According to the NYT, charges have also been filed against Julio Rocha, Costas Takkas, Rafael Esquivel and Nicolas Leoz. Meanwhile, charges are expected against sports-marketing executives Alejandro Burzaco, Aaron Davidson, Hugo Jinkis, Mariano Jinkis and Jose Margulies.

fifa

The US Department of Justice, in a statement, said that several officials have pleaded guilty, including former head of Concacaf and former FIFA executive committee member, Charles Blazer.

Shortly after the arrests in Zurich, Swiss prosecutors launched a second criminal case into the 2018 and 2022 World Cups that are to be held in Russia and Qatar. The two World Cups, particularly the one in Qatar, had previously been the subject of an investigation after allegations of fraud.

In response to the arrests, Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan, who is challenging Sepp Blatter for the Presidency of FIFA, said that it was a “sad day for football.”

Meanwhile, Sepp Blatter, who was not among those charged with corruption, said that it plans to go ahead with the elections for a new President on Friday and that there would be no re-run of the bidding processes for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Hundreds of Palestinians Cross Into Gaza As Egypt Opens Crossing
Egypt Shuts Down 50 NGOs for Muslim Brotherhood Connections

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Luxor’s Karnak Temple to be More Accessible for Special Needs Visitors

Egyptian StreetsApril 21, 2018

Egypt Faces 54 Billion Cubic Meters Water Shortage: Minister

Egyptian StreetsApril 21, 2018

Sudden Death of Swedish DJ Avicii Leaves Fans Sad, Shocked

Egyptian StreetsApril 21, 2018

Sudan Protests to United Nations Over Egyptian Voting in Disputed Area

Egyptian StreetsApril 19, 2018

300 Artifacts on Display at the Egyptian Museum for the First Time in Temporary Exhibition

Egyptian StreetsApril 19, 2018

Egypt’s Military Declares IS Leader is Killed in Sinai

Egyptian StreetsApril 18, 2018

102 Churches to be Legalised in Egypt

Egyptian StreetsApril 18, 2018

Egypt’s Unemployment Rate Drops to 11.8 Percent In 2017

Egyptian StreetsApril 16, 2018
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.