News

Egyptian President Leads Military Funeral Of Assasinated General Prosecutor Hisham Barakat

Egyptian President Leads Military Funeral Of Assasinated General Prosecutor Hisham Barakat

In honor of the late Egyptian General Prosecutor Hisham Barakat, a heavy guarded military funeral has taken place following the noon prayers at El-Mosheer Tantawy mosque in New Cairo on Tuesday.

Attended by Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, Prime Minister Ibrahim Mehleb and several high profile military and judiciary personnel, the funeral took place on the second anniversary of June 30 marking the street protests which led to the ousting of President Mohamed Morsi.

President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and top Egyptian figures march in a brief military funeral honoring General Prosecutor Hisham Barakat
President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and top Egyptian figures march in a brief military funeral honoring General Prosecutor Hisham Barakat

Hisham Barakat passed away at the age of 65 on Monday afternoon as a result of injuries in his lungs and abdomen following a car bombing that targeted his convoy earlier on the same day.

The military funeral at one of Cairo's eastern suburbs
The military funeral at one of Cairo’s eastern suburbs

The Egyptian Presidency had paid its condolences to Barakat’s family in an official statement, stating that Egypt has lost a great judiciary figure who has always honored the moral and ethical codes of the profession, in addition to his notable dedication to the responsibilities of his position.

Screenshot from state owned television
Screenshot from state owned television

In a televised comment following the funeral, President al-Sisi vowed to amend the criminal laws to curb terrorism and achieve “rapid justice.”

“We will make amendments to laws so we can achieve justice in the swiftest possible time,” El-Sisi said, adding that the mentioned amendments are due to take place within days.

Egypt Indefinitely Shuts Down Sadat Metro Station for "Security Reasons"
Muslim Brotherhood Says Without Justice Violence Will Continue

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Saudi Arabia Loses Match to Uruguay: Egypt Will Not Continue in World Cup

Egyptian StreetsJune 20, 2018

The United States Withdraws from UN Human Rights Council

Marwan ShalabyJune 20, 2018

Egypt Loses 3-1 to World Cup Hosts in Fierce Match

Youssef AwwadJune 19, 2018

Mohamed Salah ‘Among Starting XI’ in Egypt-Russia World Cup Match

Egyptian StreetsJune 19, 2018

Trump’s Separation Migrant Policy Places Children in ‘Cages’

Jana Bou MatarJune 19, 2018

Egypt Offers Free Train Seats for Cancer Patients

Egyptian StreetsJune 19, 2018

Man Killed While Swimming in Luxurious Hacienda Bay

Seif GhallabJune 17, 2018

Fuel Price Hike Prompts Increase in Public Transportation Fares

Egyptian StreetsJune 17, 2018
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.