News

US Airstrike Kills Islamic State Leader in Libya: Pentagon Officials

US Airstrike Kills Islamic State Leader in Libya: Pentagon Officials

F-15 aircraft used in the US airstrike against Libya's ISIS leader. Photo: Itsuo Inouye/AP
F-15 aircraft used in the US airstrike against Libya’s ISIS leader. Photo: Itsuo Inouye/AP

US airstrikes carried out on Friday have killed the leader of the Islamic State in Libya, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said in a statement on Saturday.

The airstrikes targeted Wisam al-Zubaidi, an Iraqi national and “longtime al-Qaeda operative” and ISIS’ senior leader in Libya, according to the Pentagon statement.

The attack had been planned for some time and was authorized and initiated prior to the Paris terror attacks that left at least 120 dead on Friday night, Cook said.

Although these are not the first American airstrikes in Libya, they are the country’s first US strike against an ISIS leader in the North African country, which Cook said “demonstrates [the US] will go after [ISIS] leaders wherever they operate”.

This story is developing.

Start-up Exits Bring Multi-Million Dollar Investments to Egypt
7 Killed as High-Speed French Train Derails, Catches Fire

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Egypt Constructs World’s Largest Solar Park

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 24, 2018

Tourists Gather to Watch Alignment of the Sun on Ramses II Statue in Aswan

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 22, 2018

Egyptian Female Wins Her Case Against a Harasser in Determination to Fight Sexual Harassment

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 22, 2018

Egypt has ‘Nothing to Hide’: Al-Sisi Comments on the $US 15 Billion Natural Gas Deal with Israel

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 22, 2018

New Zoo Established in Cairo’s International Garden in Attempt to Expand Egypt’s Green Spaces

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 21, 2018

Saudi Women to Own Businesses Without Male Consent Following a Royal Decree Allowing Women to Drive

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 21, 2018

Israel Signs $US 15 Billion Deal to Export Natural Gas to Egypt

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2018

Egyptian Court Adds Former Presidential Candidate Abdel Monem Aboul Fotouh to Terror List

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2018
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.