News

ISIS Claims Responsibility for 10 Killed in Cairo Explosion

ISIS Claims Responsibility for 10 Killed in Cairo Explosion

160122113808-giza-bomb-exlarge-169

In a statement released on social media, the ISIS-affiliated Ansar Bait Al-Maqdis (Wilayat Sinai) claimed responsibility for an explosion in Cairo’s Haram area that killed 10 people.

The explosion in Haram killed seven policemen and three civilians on Thursday, according to a statement from the Ministry of Interior.

According to state-owned Al-Ahram, the bomb exploded during a police raid on an apartment in the area, where militants were suspected of hiding. Egypt’s security forces have been raiding several apartments across the capital in the days leading up to the fifth anniversary of the January 25 revolution.

In addition to the three deaths, at least 12 others were injured in the blast. They have been transferred to a hospital for treatment.

ISIS, in a statement released on social media which could not be independently verified, claimed responsibility. In the statement, the terror group said it had booby-trapped the apartment with explosives.

Earlier on Thursday, five policemen were killed after unidentified gunmen opened fire at a police box in the centre of El-Arish, North Sinai.

Up to 100 militants have been killed in Egypt’s North Sinai since the start of the year as part of military operations. In a recent statement, President Sisi said that terrorism in the area does not exceed more than one percent of North Sinai’s total land area.

Since the ouster of former President Mohammed Morsi, the Sinai has witnessed a wave of  violence, often targeting security forces.

A fact-sheet prepared by Egypt’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs put the death toll for terrorism acts which took place since January 2011 and until April 2014 at 971, including 664 security personnel.

Dutch Airline No Longer Lets Crew Stay in Egypt Overnight Citing Safety Concerns
Egypt, China Sign 21 Agreements in Bid to Boost Bilateral Cooperation

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Kasr Al-Ainy Hospital is Offering Free Treatment to FGM Survivors in Egypt

Amuna Wagner22 September 2021

Egypt to Introduce Ethics Code for Media Coverage of Suicide

Marina Makary21 September 2021

Former Supreme Council Head Mohamed Tantawi Dies at 85

Mona Abdou21 September 2021

US Admits Afghanistan Drone Strike Killed Seven Children, Other Civilians

Egyptian Streets18 September 2021

Egypt Removed from UK COVID-19 ‘Red List’

Amina Zaineldine17 September 2021

EgyptAir to Operate Cairo-Tel Aviv Flights in October

Marina Makary14 September 2021

Israeli Prime Minister Visits Egypt for the First Time in a Decade

Mona Abdou13 September 2021

Egypt Launches National Strategy for Human Rights

Egyptian Streets11 September 2021