News

Turkey Accuses Kurdish Syrian Militant of Carrying Out Ankara Attack

Turkey Accuses Kurdish Syrian Militant of Carrying Out Ankara Attack

Photo: Associated Press
Photo: Associated Press

Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu accused a Syrian national with “direct links” to Kurdistan’s Working Party (PKK) and the Syrian Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) of carrying out the deadly Ankara bombing that claimed at least 28 lives on Wednesday.

“It has been revealed that this attack was carried out by members of the terrorist organisation in cooperation with a YPG member who infiltrated [Turkey] from Syria,” Davutoglu said on Thursday.

According to the premier, Syrian national Salih Necar was behind the explosion and nine people have been detained for their involvement in the attack.

The YPG and PKK have both denied any connection to the explosion, despite President Recep Tayyip Erdogan maintaining that there is “evidence” to prove the groups – both of which are considered “terror groups” – are to blame.

A car bomb detonated on Wednesday in the heart of the Turkish capital, near military headquarters and Turkey’s parliament, killing at least 28 and injuring 61 others.

Wednesday’s attack is the latest in a series of explosions in Turkey.

Last month, a large explosion rocked the Sultanahmet Square in central Istanbul, killing and injuring several people.

In October 2015, two large explosions in Ankara killed at least 99 people and injured dozens. The blasts targeted a peace rally that was calling for an end to violence between Turkish forces and the PKK.

Egyptian Policeman Shoots, Kills Driver in Al-Darb Al-Ahmar District Following Argument
'Anti-Torture' Detainee Referred to Egypt State Security Prosecution After Over 2 Years in Custody

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Globally Renowned Consulting Firms to Lead Reform of Egypt’s Ministry of Petroleum

Seif GhallabFebruary 21, 2017

11 Sentenced to Death for Port Said Massacre, Celebrations Held

Aya NaderFebruary 20, 2017

ISIS Releases Video Threatening Egypt’s Christians, Showing Church Bomber

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2017

Rockets Fired from Egypt’s Sinai at Israel for Second Time This Month

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2017

Top Oil Companies Plan to Invest in Egypt More Than Anywhere in the World

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 19, 2017

The Egyptian ‘Blind Sheikh’, Linked to 1993 New York Attack, Dies in U.S. Prison

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 19, 2017

Three Egyptian Soldiers Killed During Central Sinai Raids on Terrorist Hideouts

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 18, 2017

Russian Government Approves Egyptian-Russian Aviation Security Protocol

Toqa EzzidinFebruary 18, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 ES Media UG. All Rights Reserved.