News

Tunisia: Deadly Clashes Near Border with Libya Leave at Least 50 Dead

Tunisia: Deadly Clashes Near Border with Libya Leave at Least 50 Dead

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 3.23.09 PM

At least 50 people, including several civilians, have been killed in deadly clashes between security forces and armed fighters in the Tunisian city of Ben Guerdane, near the border with Libya.

According to local reports, at approximately 3 a.m. this morning groups of armed men crossed the border from Libya into Tunisia and attacked army barracks and a local police station with heavy weaponry, including rocket-propelled grenades.

The Tunisian Ministry of Interior said at least 33 assailants, seven civilians and 10 soldiers were killed.

While the situation seems to have calmed down, the fighting has prompted Tunisian authorities to declare a curfew on the city Monday evening.

“We have decided to impose a curfew in Ben Guerdane on both vehicles and pedestrians… starting from today [Monday] between 7pm [18:00 GMT] and 5am [04:00 GMT],” said an interior ministry statement.

“Police and army units killed 21 terrorists and captured six after police and National Guard posts as well as an army barracks in Ben Guerdane were targeted in coordinated attacks by armed terrorist groups,” the statement went on to say.

صور حصرية للمواجهات المسلحة في بن قردانصور حصرية للمواجهات المسلحة في بن قردانتابع بقية الأخبار الفورية و الحصرية على صفحتنا https://www.facebook.com/Zarzis.Zarzis.info

Posted by Zarzis.info on Monday, March 7, 2016

Tunisian authorities have been on alert since reports emerged that militants had been crossing the border from Libya following a US air strike on a training camp belonging to an Islamic State affiliate on February 18.

Tunisia has been on high alert ever since the deadly attack against the Bardo National Musem in the capital Tunis last year, which was later followed by an attack on hotels  in the beach resort Sousse.

Egypt to Export 60 Double-Decker Buses to United Kingdom for First Time
Bus Drivers in Alexandria Go on Strike Over Low Wages, Bonuses

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Daily News Egypt ‘Blocked’ in Egypt

Egyptian StreetsMay 28, 2017

ISIS Claims Responsibility for Egypt’s Minya Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

Eiffel Tower Goes Dark as World Leaders Condemn Attack in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 27, 2017

ISIS Attempts to Erupt Sectarian Violence Between Egypt’s Muslims and Christians: Al-Sisi

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Bombs Terrorists in Libya Following Massacre of 28 Coptic Christians in Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Egypt Identifies a 2-Year-Old as the Youngest Victim of the Minya Bus Attack

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

Daily News Egypt Confirms Technical Issue with the Website

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017

28 Killed, Including Children, in Attack on Bus Carrying Coptic Christians in Egypt’s Minya

Egyptian StreetsMay 26, 2017
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.