News

Egyptian Found Dead on Railway Track in Italy: Foreign Ministry

Egyptian Found Dead on Railway Track in Italy: Foreign Ministry

image

The Egyptian embassy in Rome has received notification that the body of a deceased Egyptian man was found on a railway track in Naples, south of Italy last Saturday, Egypt’s foreign ministry said on Tuesday.

Mohamed Baher was found on a railway track with bruises on his head and jaw. One of his family members notified the Egyptian embassy in Rome of the incident after having reported it to the Naples police station on Tuesday.

According to the ministry, Baher “illegally” migrated to Italy in 2006. His passport and his military enlistment certificate were found alongside his body.

The Egyptian embassy in Rome sent an urgent request to the Italian  authorities to uncover the circumstances of the incident and the results of the preliminary autopsy, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ahmed Abo Zeid said.

Last month, Egypt’s public prosecution ordered two separate investigations into the killings of Egyptian nationals, Sherif Adel, who died in a fire in London, and Mohamed Rushdi, whose dead body was found allegedly bearing torture marks in the United States.

The ministry’s outspokenness about these two incidents came under scrutiny by critics and activists who viewed the extra attention given to these Egyptians’ deaths as a way for Egypt to divert attention away from the slain Italian doctoral student Giulio Regeni.

Political relations between Italy and Egypt have been strained since Regeni’s body was found bearing torture marks on the outskirts of Cairo last February, ten days after he disappeared on the fifth anniversary of the 2011 uprising.

Egypt's General Prosecutor Issues Media Gag Order on Police Raid of Press Syndicate
Egypt's State-Owned Al-Ahram Publishes 'Unprecedented' Editorial Taking Aim at Interior Ministry

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Israel Signs $US 15 Billion Deal to Export Natural Gas to Egypt

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2018

Egyptian Court Adds Former Presidential Candidate Abdel Monem Aboul Fotouh to Terror List

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2018

Khaled Ali Resigns from ‘Bread and Liberty’ Party After Sexual Harassment Accusations

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 20, 2018

Teenage FGM Rate Declines Amid Ongoing Fight to Stop the Practice Around Egypt

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 19, 2018

Egypt’s Ismailia to Become an ‘Electronic City’ in Attempts to Overcome Bureaucracy

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 18, 2018

Khaled Ali’s Party Acquits Him of Sexual Misconduct Following Accusation

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 18, 2018

Egypt’s Cycling Team Wins the 2018 African Championship

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 18, 2018

Egypt’s Mohamed Salah Scores 30 Goals in 36 Games

Egyptian StreetsFebruary 18, 2018
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.