News

EgyptAir to Ban Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Phones on Planes Over Exploding Batteries

EgyptAir to Ban Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Phones on Planes Over Exploding Batteries

39621045_-_24_08_2016_-_samsung_elec-smartphones_1

EgyptAir will ban all passengers from carrying the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone on board all flights as a safety measure, state-owned Ahram Online reported.

The decision from Egypt’s flagship airline comes after several international warnings regarding the device being dangerous due to incidents of the phone catching on fire. The United States’ Transport Department and the Federal Aviation Administration issued an order on Friday to ban the device on all flights, prompting many international airlines to follow suit.

Last month, Samsung issued a recall of the handset after several reports of the phone exploding during or after charging came to light. The mobile giant advised concerned owners to contact service centers in their areas if they wish to replace the device with a new one or seek a refund.

“There was a tiny problem in the manufacturing process, so it was very difficult to figure out,” the President of Samsung’s mobile business Koh Dong-jin said about the recall, which was expected to cost Samsung more than USD 1 billion.

“It will cost us so much it makes my heart ache. Nevertheless, the reason we made this decision is because what is most important is customer safety.”

Saudi Arabia Launches $100 Billion Fund for Global Investment in Technology
Egypt Wins 18 Medals at 11th Arab Rowing Championships

Subscribe to our newsletter


News

More in News

Egypt Issues Arrest Warrant for Italian Diplomat Accused of Smuggling Antiquities

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 17, 2019

Egypt Plans Nation-Wide Citizen Input Workshops to Discuss State Budget

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 15, 2019

Egypt Condemns Drone Attack on Two of Saudi Arabia’s Aramco Oil Facilities

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 15, 2019

Sisi Says Videos on Government Corruption Full of ‘Lies’ and ‘Slander’

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 14, 2019

Egypt-Belgium MoU Secures EGP 16 m For Baron Palace Renovation

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 13, 2019

Egypt Appoints New Prosecutor General Hamada El-Sawy

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 12, 2019

London School of Economics Denies Reports of Deal to Open Branch in Egypt’s New Capital

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 11, 2019

Arab League Condemns Netanyahu’s Plan to Annex the West Bank

Egyptian StreetsSeptember 11, 2019
Egyptian Streets is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Egyptian and Middle Eastern streets, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the region.

© 2017 Egyptian Streets. All Rights Reserved.